+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can refugee claimant apply for euthanasia in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can read about the services available for medical assistance in dying. It is not a quick process and if you have only arrived in Canada recently you will need to get seen by doctors to confirm your diagnosis, review treatment options, try treatment options and then explore the option of MAID and see if you get approved. It seems as though MAID is available to anyone with access to provincial or federal healthcare but given the instability that comes with applying for asylum assume doctors will be more reluctant to approve until you have solved your asylum issue or you are much closer to death because the instability of an asylum claim could influence the psychological assessments. The program has only recently undergone major changes because you had to be terminal and relatively close to death to qualify before. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/medical-assistance-dying.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems unclear whether this is the result of a physical or mental health issue since there was mention of health needs in previous postings. The asylum process is difficult emotionally, financially and physically. Although Canada is very generous many people assume that once they arrive in Canada they will qualify for things like housing, welfare, healthcare and can relax. In reality welfare is a small amount of money so it is usually very difficult to live off and finding affordable housing is very difficult. Although we are extremely lucky in Canada many people from other countries may assume that there are no people struggling to meet their basic needs in Canada which is unfortunately not the case.

marylady

Feb 16, 2021
are you suggesting that as a refugee claimant (even though our refugee status has not been approved), we can still enjoy the free health care service, which means if we go to hospital with any sickness, we do not need to pay by ourselves? Another question is about domestic violence? For people fleeing from domestic violence, is there special protection can I receive?

Thanks for your all kindness

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
are you suggesting that as a refugee claimant (even though our refugee status has not been approved), we can still enjoy the free health care service, which means if we go to hospital with any sickness, we do not need to pay by ourselves? Another question is about domestic violence? For people fleeing from domestic violence, is there special protection can I receive?

Im not sure about other province, but once you passed your eligibility interview and issued work permit, you can apply for provincial medical service plan that you can use to get treatment free but you will pay for your prescription. Your Refugee Claimant Document entitle you to use Federal Health Care plan if you want to get some treatment.

now with regard to domestic abuse, there is temporary resident permit if you are victim of domestic abuse. However that applies to TRP holder and in your situation you are refugee claimant and suppose abuse happened outside of Canada. If that is the basis of your claim, you need to wait to attend your hearing. Im not sure if there is any other special protection you will receive, i guess there isnt, unfortuanately..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Im not sure about other province, but once you passed your eligibility interview and issued work permit, you can apply for provincial medical service plan that you can use to get treatment free but you will pay for your prescription. Your Refugee Claimant Document entitle you to use Federal Health Care plan if you want to get some treatment.

now with regard to domestic abuse, there is temporary resident permit if you are victim of domestic abuse. However that applies to TRP holder and in your situation you are refugee claimant and suppose abuse happened outside of Canada. If that is the basis of your claim, you need to wait to attend your hearing. Im not sure if there is any other special protection you will receive, i guess there isnt, unfortuanately..
Asylum claimants are supposed to enrol in the IFHP program. They don’t qualify for provincial healthcare. In general domestic violence does not guarantee asylum in Canada. You will have to show that you have attempted to seek protection in your home country through the police or courts, moving to another region of your home country, seeking resources that are available in your home country, etc. Documentation of medical care you received as a result of the abuse or pictures will also be part of the evidence you will need to present. Every case is evaluated differently. There are no special programs for people fleeing domestic abuse from a partner in another country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Once you have your eligibility heeding then you should get access to IFHP. Not all healthcare services are covered but actually more than most Canadians have access to,

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Asylum claimants are supposed to enrol in the IFHP program. They don’t qualify for provincial healthcare. In general domestic violence does not guarantee asylum in Canada. You will have to show that you have attempted to seek protection in your home country through the police or courts, moving to another region of your home country, seeking resources that are available in your home country, etc. Documentation of medical care you received as a result of the abuse or pictures will also be part of the evidence you will need to present. Every case is evaluated differently. There are no special programs for people fleeing domestic abuse from a partner in another country.
In British Columbia, Refugee Claimants do qualify for MSP provided they have work permit ( that comes after passing eligibility ) with validity more than 6months, proof of address and proof of working at least 20hours a week.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/policies-for-government/bcea-policy-and-procedure-manual/health-supplements-and-programs/medical-services-plan-and-medical-coverage

marylady

Feb 16, 2021
Do you mean although the treatment is free, the medication is not? Will it cost a lot?

My families are horrible. I am just afraid that they will trace me down to Canada and continue to persecute me. I don't know how to escape from the fear toward them. Will the refugee board allow me to change my name in the refugee claim process so that they will by no means find me?

life is so difficult.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In British Columbia, Refugee Claimants do qualify for MSP provided they have work permit ( that comes after passing eligibility ) with validity more than 6months, proof of address and proof of working at least 20hours a week.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/policies-for-government/bcea-policy-and-procedure-manual/health-supplements-and-programs/medical-services-plan-and-medical-coverage
Very surprised. Guess BC is an unusual province. In general you usually have to have received protected person status to be able to qualify for provincial healthcare. You receive better benefits from IFHP so not sure whether it would make sense for most people to apply for MSP over IFHP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you mean although the treatment is free, the medication is not? Will it cost a lot?

My families are horrible. I am just afraid that they will trace me down to Canada and continue to persecute me. I don't know how to escape from the fear toward them. Will the refugee board allow me to change my name in the refugee claim process so that they will by no means find me?

life is so difficult.
Very hard to explain what is covered and what is not because it varies between provinces. Hospital treatment and medications are free (except for some extremely rare situations). You can apply to change your name legally. You will need to show that you sought safety in your home country, moved, went to the police, accessed domestic violence services, etc. and those programs failed to protect you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Very surprised. Guess BC is an unusual province. In general you usually have to have received protected person status to be able to qualify for provincial healthcare. You receive better benefits from IFHP so not sure whether it would make sense for most people to apply for MSP over IFHP.
And suprisingly most places prefer MSP than the IFHP. I know someone who was billed by hospital because he had IFHP and they told him to get refund from the Feds. They prefer MSP more than other plans and yet you get. all the benefits as Citizens and PR.
You can also enroll for BC Pharma Care as long as you have valid Medical Service Plan. Pharma Care gives subsidy on prescription medicine based on your income, most preferrably low income. BC Gvt pays 75% or less depending on your income and family size.

International Students in BC used to pay $75 monthly but they increased premium after eliminating for others. They dont stop service if you dont pay your premium on time

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
if he/she has ho hope in life.

They should be eligible

In order to be eligible for medical assistance in dying, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:

• be eligible for health services funded by the federal government, or a province or territory (or during the applicable minimum period of residence or waiting period for eligibility)
    • generally, visitors to Canada are not eligible for medical assistance in dying
  • be at least 18 years old and mentally competent. This means being capable of making health care decisions for yourself.
  • have a grievous and irremediable medical condition
  • make a voluntary request for MAID that is not the result of outside pressure or influence
  • give informed consent to receive MAID

-----

Here is the medical requirements:

To be considered as having a grievous and irremediable medical condition, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:
  • have a serious illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2023)
  • be in an advanced state of decline that cannot be reversed
  • experience unbearable physical or mental suffering from your illness, disease, disability or state of decline that cannot be relieved under conditions that you consider acceptable