+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can refugee claimant apply for euthanasia in Canada?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Ask them to seek assistance directly from a health provider, if they want to end their life due to serious health problems the LAW is on their side.

If they want to end their life due to mental sickness, this is not an option, yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They should be eligible

-----

Here is the medical requirements:

To be considered as having a grievous and irremediable medical condition, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:
  • have a serious illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2023)
  • be in an advanced state of decline that cannot be reversed
  • experience unbearable physical or mental suffering from your illness, disease, disability or state of decline that cannot be relieved under conditions that you consider acceptable
Although this is true it is not a fast process and you will need to seek out treatment and a diagnosis in Canada before MAID is considered. It may seem like a quick process if you aren't familiar with the program. Given the instability of the asylum process there may be a reluctance to offer MAID if there are concerns that the instability of the asylum process is affecting a person's judgement.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Ask them to seek assistance directly from a health provider, if they want to end their life due to serious health problems the LAW is on their side.

If they want to end their life due to mental sickness, this is not an option, yet.
It’s not like hailing a cab. The process is very slow

marylady

Feb 16, 2021
VAST an organisation in BC they supports refugees with emotional well being,support groups and individual counseling all free during claim process and connect you to other services like settlement agencies is another resource you reach out to. They are operating remotely.
See website: https://vast-vancouver.ca/
You can also email: referrals@vast-vancouver.ca
They should be eligible

-----

To be considered as having a grievous and irremediable medical condition, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:
  • have a serious illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2023)
  • experience unbearable physical or mental suffering from your illness, disease, disability or state of decline that cannot be relieved under conditions that you consider acceptable
They should be eligible

-----

Thank you for your reply. Where did you find this information? What is the official website? I want to check it by myelf.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
It’s not like hailing a cab. The process is very slow
Unfortunately anything related to the Federal government is very slow. I still remember when I was under (IFHP) I had to wait 6 months to get an appointment for blood test.

I hope whoever needs the medical assistance in dying won't have to wait this long, though. It would be inhumane to leave someone suffering for months and months because of overloaded health system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately anything related to the Federal government is very slow. I still remember when I was under (IFHP) I had to wait 6 months to get an appointment for blood test.

I hope whoever needs the medical assistance in dying won't have to wait this long, though. It would be inhumane to leave someone suffering for months and months because of overloaded health system.
You can’t compare MAID to federal government services. The process is slow because It is a serioys issue and multiple doctors want to figure out that this is a person’s decision and figure out whether they are accessing MAID for the right reasons. It is a good thing that you can’t qualify for MAID very quickly. In a case where someone has not been diagnosed or sought treatment in Canada, someone will need to go through that process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

We have very little information about OP’s health and whether they would qualify for MAID. MAID also isn’t made for people who have recently entered Canada. It is important that doctors have a complete picture of one’s health history, treatment options and prognosis before they can decide to approve MAID and before someone helps someone die. All this takes time. Due to the pandemic it will take more time. It doesn’t mean that someone won’t be able to access treatment for their acute medical issues while waiting.