+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Protected Persons travel without PR card?

m_ahmed

Jan 8, 2018
Hi..

I just applied for Permanent Residence. After reading threads at forum i got to know that it might take anything between 12-24 months for obtaining the permanent residence. I have 2 confusions..

1-Whats the difference between the application for 'Permanent Residence' and 'Permanent Resident Card'.. Because on cic website there are 2 separate applications for both and cic website shows processing times for the PR card (which is 61 days) while i couldn't find anything for Permanent residence. I know someone who went through refugee-to-citizen process and i was told they didn't need to apply separately for both.

2- If i need to travel to USA before my status changes from 'Protected Person' to 'Permanent Resident', then how thats going to work? Will i need my PR card at hand or the Travel document and Notice of decision is enough for entering back into Canada?

and in end Where to check the status of your application for 'Permanent residence'?
Am not able to link my paper application with my account at cic website yet.

m_ahmed

Jan 8, 2018
Application for a PR card is for those who have received a COPR and have landed. Also could be PR card renewal that are very straightforward. The PR process for a protected person is approx 21 months. Did you recently apply for PR. It may take a couple of months to link your account. You need to apply for a refugee travel document (RTD).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=610&top=11
Thank you so much for the reply.
I just applied for the PR last week.

Without a PR card can i enter back into Canada after traveling?? as i was told that i may not enter back into Canada without PR card as its proof of my residential status in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for the reply.
I just applied for the PR last week.

Without a PR card can i enter back into Canada after traveling?? as i was told that i may not enter back into Canada without PR card as its proof of my residential status in Canada.
See my previous answer. You need a RTD.

m_ahmed

Jan 8, 2018
See my previous answer. You need a RTD.
Oh yes.. i read it. I was just confused if RTD will be enough or i will still need PR card(with RTD) to enter back in Canada.
What i get is PR card has nothing to do with the traveling and one only needs RTD.
Thank you so much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PR card is used for travel if you are a PR and a RTD is used for travel if you are a protected person. You can't use both at the same time. You also can't get a PR card unless you are PR. Not sure what your country of origin is but the country ban from the US will likely still apply to you if you are trying to enter the US even with RTD. You will have to look into the current status of the court case if you are from one of the banned countries.

Reactions: m_ahmed

m_ahmed

Jan 8, 2018
PR card is used for travel if you are a PR and a RTD is used for travel if you are a protected person. You can't use both at the same time. You also can't get a PR card unless you are PR. Not sure what your country of origin is but the country ban from the US will likely still apply to you if you are trying to enter the US even with RTD. You will have to look into the current status of the court case if you are from one of the banned countries.
I am from Pakistan. I was told that i will need to apply for US-visa from Canada by using the travel document from Passport Canada.
I wasnt sure about the PR card. I thought i might use travel document for traveling and getting visas. but will need PR card to enter back in country.

Thanks for all the clarification of my confusion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should doublecheck with the US embassy whether you will need additional documents to enter the US with your RTD. In general the RTD is a less recognized travel document than a PR card in most countries. It is because you are only a protected person and not a permanent resident of Canada. With a PR card you will be able to enter the US without a visa. You will have no problems returning to Canada with either an RTD or PR card.

Reactions: m_ahmed