+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can one use online immigration training course from a non-regulated service provider

MWIN

Star Member
Aug 12, 2017
My cousin thinks that taking a paid online immigration training course would boost his confidence in preparing and submitting application by himself. The problem is although he find the course is useful and easy to follow because it's in our mother language, the course is not provided by a RCIC nor Canadian lawyer. I warned him that he might have problem if IRCC finds out that he use paid immigration service from a person who doesn't have license to provide immigration services, but he argued that it's only applied if he uses a non-authorised representative. In his case, he is going to submit application by himself and only pay for the course to boost his confidence.
Senior members, please could you shed some lights what are IRCC policies on online training courses (not representative services) which charge fees by non-regulated consultant? Where could we verify the policies?

Thank you

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
IRCC doesn't care. It's entirely up to you.
To me this sounds sketchy and just someone trying to make quick money off people. You don't need "training" to submit an application

Atlantico

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
To me this sounds sketchy and just someone trying to make quick money off people. You don't need "training" to submit an application
I don't think it's sketchy. It depends on the course contents, course price and your time value. While "you don't need "training" to submit an application", you still need to spend your time to:
  • gather information from internet to learn about immigration programs
  • wonder from this program to another, trying to figure out what program is best for you
and when you "think" this or that program is best for you, you still need to:
  • go through all details of application guides
  • collect all the application forms and figure out how to fill them
  • go online again and again (maybe to forum like this) try to figure out answers for questions you encounter but can not find answer from information you have gathered. (I've seen so many question about so and so with phrase "...I can not find the information on application guide..." on this forum).
It'd take a normal person from weeks to months to go through all those processes, with a lot of wondering and uncertainties as first time applicant. So if the course provide good contents which can help you save your time wondering, have Q&A type of communication, doesn't cost you arms and legs, then it's up to you if your time is value more or less than that price.
It'd be best if the course is run buy an authorized consultant/lawyer though!

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
I don't think it's sketchy. It depends on the course contents, course price and your time value. While "you don't need "training" to submit an application", you still need to spend your time to:
  • gather information from internet to learn about immigration programs
  • wonder from this program to another, trying to figure out what program is best for you
and when you "think" this or that program is best for you, you still need to:
  • go through all details of application guides
  • collect all the application forms and figure out how to fill them
  • go online again and again (maybe to forum like this) try to figure out answers for questions you encounter but can not find answer from information you have gathered. (I've seen so many question about so and so with phrase "...I can not find the information on application guide..." on this forum).
It'd take a normal person from weeks to months to go through all those processes, with a lot of wondering and uncertainties as first time applicant. So if the course provide good contents which can help you save your time wondering, have Q&A type of communication, doesn't cost you arms and legs, then it's up to you if your time is value more or less than that price.
It'd be best if the course is run buy an authorized consultant/lawyer though!
Go and do it yourself. it will give you experience for further jobs in Canada. Remember also YOU are assessed (just like a test) on how well this document was completed and submitted. They spent millions on making the the sites self serve; use them.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I never did a course in filling in a few immigration forms. It's not that difficult..use your brain and common sense, ask your questions in this forum. Easy.