+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can one person in a married couple apply individually, and then sponsor spouse?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
TRUENORTH_4M_C2C said:
My next question is, how soon can someone get married after landing?
Hey, Canada is a free country. Why would they impose any limitation on getting married?

and how long will it take to receive PR card after landing?
It varies, check current processing time - now it about 40 days, few months ago it was 85-90 days

Your quick responses may save my life..thanks :D

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
That is possible. You can declare your spouse as 'not accompanying' for now but they will still be part of the application. You can then bring them over on spousal sponsorship - that is a separate process and takes anywhere from 12-24 months.
Referring the RED portion, can someone tell me where this question in EE profile appears that I declare my spouse as "not accompanying"?. All I could see was only one question that asks, Is your spouse included in this application?

In the RED portion, Asivad says, spouse can be included in application and still be declared as 'not accompanying'?

varun2015

Feb 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Found this info:
In case some people decide to not add their spouse in EE or want to bring their spouse after getting PR/Landing. There is pilot program which allows you to get Open work permit for spouse until they get sponsorship PR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
varun2015 said:
Found this info:
In case some people decide to not add their spouse in EE or want to bring their spouse after getting PR/Landing. There is pilot program which allows you to get Open work permit for spouse until they get sponsorship PR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp
Read the fine print - there are restrictions. The Open Work Permit is only available to those who sponsor their spouses using the inland process. In order to do this, the spouse you are sponsoring must be inside of Canada when the application is sponsored. It can often be very difficult to obtain a tourist visa for individuals who hold non visa exempt passports and have a spouse who is already a Canadian PR - and as a result they often can't come to Canada. If your spouse can't come to Canada, then you have to sponsor them using the outland process. If you sponsor them outland - no open work permit.

JB1234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2013
Alright, I think I can answer this. I included my spouse in the application but not for the PR, so had a little higher points. My spouse is studying in the US and will join me later. I dont see any problems CIC might have if my spouse wants to join later. I will apply her PR once I (hopefully) get it. I know of people who have done this and didnt have any problems.

Secondly, I dont see why CIC might have a problem if my spouse wants to visit me on a visitor visa (btw my spouse just applied for her canadian visitor visa and she got it). Canada like any other country would ofcourse only give visa to people who have strong ties to their home country, which is kind of a generic rule for any first world country and not just specific to canada, so there is nothing special about it.

Lastly canada also has a rule for spouses who are in canada and have a pending PR that they can obtain work permit and can work in canada as long as their PR application is pending. The purpose of existence of this rule is to let the spouse be in canada while her PR application is adjudicated, which would answer all your concerns.

Their might be some unlucky cases where spouse might be rejected a visitor visa, but these cases are rare and applicable to any type of visa ( what if your PR got cancelled on landing etc.)

Hope this helps

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JB1234 said:
Secondly, I dont see why CIC might have a problem if my spouse wants to visit me on a visitor visa (btw my spouse just applied for her canadian visitor visa and she got it). Canada like any other country would ofcourse only give visa to people who have strong ties to their home country, which is kind of a generic rule for any first world country and not just specific to canada, so there is nothing special about it.

Lastly canada also has a rule for spouses who are in canada and have a pending PR that they can obtain work permit and can work in canada as long as their PR application is pending. The purpose of existence of this rule is to let the spouse be in canada while her PR application is adjudicated, which would answer all your concerns.
If you join the Family Sponsorship section of the forum you'll find many spouses are refused visitor visas. It's the norm rather than the exception. This is because CIC knows they have a partner who is a Canadian PR or citizen and they have plans to remain in Canada long term - and are not genuine tourists.

It is dangerous and wrong to assume it will be easy to get a TRV to bring a spouse to Canada. Again, there are many many cases in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum where this has not been the case - forcing spouses to be separated for months or even years while the sponsorship application is processed. Additionally, when a PR sponsors a spouse - they must be living in Canada. They can go on short trips outside of Canada (e.g three weeks) to spend time with their spouse - anything longer, and they risk having the spousal sponsorship application refused. So you end up with situations where one spouse can't get a TRV to come to Canada and the other spouse has to spent almost all of their time in Canada - resulting in painful separations for long periods of time. Again, this is the norm and not the exception.

If you seek advice in the Family Class section of the forum, people will tell you without a doubt to include your spouse as an accompanying dependent in your application (so that they can get PR at the same time as you do) and avoid trying to sponsor them later. Ultimately it's a personal choice - but people need to be aware the path is not necessarily easy.

Nessansh

Aug 26, 2016
JB1234 said:
Alright, I think I can answer this. I included my spouse in the application but not for the PR, so had a little higher points. My spouse is studying in the US and will join me later. I dont see any problems CIC might have if my spouse wants to join later. I will apply her PR once I (hopefully) get it. I know of people who have done this and didnt have any problems.

Their might be some unlucky cases where spouse might be rejected a visitor visa, but these cases are rare and applicable to any type of visa ( what if your PR got cancelled on landing etc.)

Hope
JB1234 said:

Hope this helps

What reason did you give for not including your spouse in your PR profile when asked by CIC? I have the same issue if I am not including my spouse in my EE profile, I can get really high score but me and my spouse are living in Canada with an open WP. In this case what we can do?

Leo.Ady

Feb 21, 2017
I have a situation at hand wherein I need guidance:

My cousin brother is a PR holder in Canada who moved recently in December,2016 from India.

Its been 3 months, he is about to get married to an Indian girl back in India.

1. Would it be of any benefit if the two get married in Canada?
2. Is it possible for the girl to travel to Canada on tourist/temporary visa and then get married in the land of Canada??
She is not a PR holder....

Please help,In need of urgent advice. Very hopeful to get an answer from this thread.

Patel@k123987

Sep 26, 2017
I want to apply for trv visitor visa with my wife online. Do I need to fill one form or separate ?? If I apply separate than how