+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can not get the Ontario G license though i'm eligible

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Dear Ms/Sir

Good Day

I'm a newcomer to Canada. I read the instructions about exchanging my driver license from my country and the instructions states that I must submit a (written conformation of my driving experience ) to get credit toward my Ontario license

the problem is that in my country, the transportation ministry does not accept to write any conformation! they said the only way to confirm if they get a formal inquiry by Ontario ministry of transportation by mail or phone !

I have 10 years of driving experience and I have home country my driver license in addition to an International driver license.

According to ontario law , I can declare one year of driving without any (written Confirmation) and this will enable me to get a G2 license BUT From What i heard there is a HUGE difference in the insurance fees for someone who holds a G2 license vs someone who have a full G license

Also I heard that you can not rent a car in ontario with a G2 driving license!!!!!!

please help me solve this problem

thanks for your help

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Check if your country issues a certification for the driving licence, which states that the licence is valid. That’s what you actually need.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Ms/Sir

Good Day

I'm a newcomer to Canada. I read the instructions about exchanging my driver license from my country and the instructions states that I must submit a (written conformation of my driving experience ) to get credit toward my Ontario license

the problem is that in my country, the transportation ministry does not accept to write any conformation! they said the only way to confirm if they get a formal inquiry by Ontario ministry of transportation by mail or phone !

I have 10 years of driving experience and I have home country my driver license in addition to an International driver license.

According to ontario law , I can declare one year of driving without any (written Confirmation) and this will enable me to get a G2 license BUT From What i heard there is a HUGE difference in the insurance fees for someone who holds a G2 license vs someone who have a full G license

Also I heard that you can not rent a car in ontario with a G2 driving license!!!!!!

thanks for your help
Contact your embassy, they might be able to help. Some countries uses their embassies to issue such confirmation.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Dear Ms/Sir

Good Day

thanks for your help
You can rent cars with G2 license. The difference in insurance premium is not that huge.

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
You can rent cars with G2 license. The difference in insurance premium is not that huge.
Thank you for your reply , so why is everybody trying to bring this paper ?! if there is no difference between g2 and G then what is all the hassle about ?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Thank you for your reply , so why is everybody trying to bring this paper ?! if there is no difference between g2 and G then what is all the hassle about ?
Only true benefit is that you can avoid 2 driving tests.

Lot of people think that this letter is mandatory to get a license and drive a car in Ontario. I have also seen people who think that G2 license holders are barred from driving on highways. Due to all these misconceptions, people undergo the hassle to get the paper.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think there are few misconceptions here:

1. The letter stating your driving experience is a must if you want to:
a - exchange your driving licence (if you can do it - it comes from one of the countries with this agreement).
b - if you want to shorten the time to get G class
2. You will not need it if you decide, that you want to use the slow way (G1 - then 1 year wait, G2 - then 1 year wait, G)
3. Eventually you will have to reach G class (max within 5 years after passing the G1 test). If you do not do so, you will have to start the whole cycle again.
4. No insurance company (or no that I know about) in Ontario, will insure you with an international driving licence or with a G1 driving licence. So the problem will be to own the car (you can buy it, but you cannot register it without an insurance)
5. You will not be able to borrow a car using just your G1 (but there are special driving school or other services, where you can pay for a car and a supervisor, specially good for the test day or for the test preparation).

So those are the reasons why people try to get that experience letter. You might be fine in Toronto (in some areas), waiting for your G2, but you will not be fine in some other areas. And you will not be fine if ever you will need to use it in your work (for example lot of business trips).

And if you start the whole process without the letter, you cannot come later on with that letter to shorten your waiting time (as they will put all info on your record at the beginning).

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
I think there are few misconceptions here:

1. The letter stating your driving experience is a must if you want to:
a - exchange your driving licence (if you can do it - it comes from one of the countries with this agreement).
b - if you want to shorten the time to get G class
2. You will not need it if you decide, that you want to use the slow way (G1 - then 1 year wait, G2 - then 1 year wait, G)
3. Eventually you will have to reach G class (max within 5 years after passing the G1 test). If you do not do so, you will have to start the whole cycle again.
4. No insurance company (or no that I know about) in Ontario, will insure you with an international driving licence or with a G1 driving licence. So the problem will be to own the car (you can buy it, but you cannot register it without an insurance)
5. You will not be able to borrow a car using just your G1 (but there are special driving school or other services, where you can pay for a car and a supervisor, specially good for the test day or for the test preparation).

So those are the reasons why people try to get that experience letter. You might be fine in Toronto (in some areas), waiting for your G2, but you will not be fine in some other areas. And you will not be fine if ever you will need to use it in your work (for example lot of business trips).

And if you start the whole process without the letter, you cannot come later on with that letter to shorten your waiting time (as they will put all info on your record at the beginning).
Thank you vensak for your reply , but i guess what you are saying does not apply to those who have driving experience more than a year , for me I have been driving more than 3 years , but in my case if i do not bring the paper then I still can apply for the G2 right away . so I guess the only difference would be the hassle of getting a car with a G1 license for the test date?

other than that it seems that insurance will be the same as other members suggested

thanks

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you vensak for your reply , but i guess what you are saying does not apply to those who have driving experience more than a year , for me I have been driving more than 3 years , but in my case if i do not bring the paper then I still can apply for the G2 right away . so I guess the only difference would be the hassle of getting a car with a G1 license for the test date?

other than that it seems that insurance will be the same as other members suggested

thanks
Wrong:
G1 - theory test on the computer. You can get that one very fast and you do not need to wait or anything.
G2 - driving test (no highway driving) - either you wait 1 year (8 months if you take a certified driving lessons) or you bring the proof of your previous driving experience.
G - driving test (including highway) - either you wait another year or you bring your previous driving experience statement.

So without that paper will not be able to drive alone for 1 year and you will not be able to register a car under you.

That is why everybody gets the paper.

Reactions: Aarti123