+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can non-taxable research studentship be accepted as work-ex under NOC 4122?

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I came to Canada in January 2008 on a study permit as a Masters student and finished my Masters in August 2009 at the University of Waterloo. I was in the beginning paid a research assistantship, but from January 2009 onwards it was changed to a "Graduate Research Studentship" (GRS), the duties and remuneration remaining same as before. However, no statutory deductions (income tax, CPP, EI) are made from the amount paid to me (since Jan 2009); while the duties are the same as mentioned under NOC-code 4122.

Since September 2009, I am doing PhD and still getting the GRS.

In August 2009, I am completing 1 year of the GRS since having obtained my Masters degree. If the CIC accepts my GRS as work experience under 4122, I qualify for CEC.

So, does anyone if the GRS, as described above, would be counted as work experience?

Thanks in advance!

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
I would suggest that get a letter from you university that says that you worked as full-time Research Assistant in the university, and were paid the salary. Attach your T4A or T4 slips. It is a work experience. I know many of the PhD students in Canada, who got their immigration by showing their TA and RA as work experience. You should definitely apply!