+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can new PR get Travel Document?

AgiHun

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I recently got my PR status and would love to visit my family in Europe. I will receive my PR card around the end of January, however I have a plane leaving in 2 weeks. I would be back to Canada in the beginning of January.
I was just about to print out the application for travel document when I read about the PR Obligations and the 730 days which I obviously don't have yet.
Can a new PR apply for Travel Document while waiting for first PR card? Any help from previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can get a travel document as a PR. When you are still within your first 5 years as a PR, they look at if you could still meet the 730 day requirement within the first 5 years. As a new PR, you have almost 5 years left to meet them so it is not a problem.

AgiHun

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Leon said:
Yes, you can get a travel document as a PR. When you are still within your first 5 years as a PR, they look at if you could still meet the 730 day requirement within the first 5 years. As a new PR, you have almost 5 years left to meet them so it is not a problem.
Oh I see! Thank you so much for your answer! You just made my day! :)

ReeS

Jan 11, 2012
Hello AgiHu ,
same thing for me, i needed to travel without my pr card nextweek. may i ask if you where approved for the travel document? thanks.

AgiHun

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
ReeS said:
Hello AgiHu ,
same thing for me, i needed to travel without my pr card nextweek. may i ask if you where approved for the travel document? thanks.
Hi, yes I was approved right away but the Vienna office issued me the wrong "travel" document. I got a 5 year multiple entry visa instead of the travel document so at the airport they sent me to the immigration office. They put a stamp on it and they let me come through. Make sure you bring utility bill or bank statement and all required papers with you when you apply for it. Good luck!