10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
Hello Everyone!

My wife has recently got her PR card. She was sponsored by her elder sister who is Canadian citizen. My wife moved to Canada just a week ago. I have read this on a immigration lawyers website.

"If you wish you sponsor your spouse, and you were yourself sponsored by a permanent resident in Canada a few years ago, it is legally possible. However, according to the latest requirement, you must wait for at least five years before you can sponsor your spouse. The time starts after you have received your permanent residence."

Now I am confused if this applies on sponsor from a PR only or a sponsor from Canadian citizen as well. Please guide me through on this. Also please enlighten me if there is anyway to go there and work while my PR request is under process.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Thanks!

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
This is what I looked up on CIC website. Your wife's sister ( the sister inlaw) should have put you on same application as your wife.

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

I think you need to find other way to immigrate. Perhaps a pnp. Your wife not say she was married on her app? I think she can never sponsor you. Nevermind the 5 yrs.
Anybody agree?

Reactions: Qureshi2015

Qureshi2015

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
This is what I looked up on CIC website. Your wife's sister ( the sister inlaw) should have put you on same application as your wife.

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

I think you need to find other way to immigrate. Perhaps a pnp. Your wife not say she was married on her app? I think she can never sponsor you. Nevermind the 5 yrs.
Anybody agree?
Thank you for your reply.... The thing is that we were not married at the time when my sister in law sponsored my wife. :(

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
Well you didn't say that. It sounded like you were. When did you get married? Does CIC know now? Your wife is supposed to inform them of any changes.

Qureshi2015

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
Well you didn't say that. It sounded like you were. When did you get married? Does CIC know
now? Your wife is supposed to inform them of any changes.

We got married last year and yes CIC knows about it as her PR card was issued after a year from her first entry date so she applied for PR entry document and in the application she provided her marital details.

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hello Everyone!

My wife has recently got her PR card. She was sponsored by her elder sister who is Canadian citizen. My wife moved to Canada just a week ago. I have read this on a immigration lawyers website.

"If you wish you sponsor your spouse, and you were yourself sponsored by a permanent resident in Canada a few years ago, it is legally possible. However, according to the latest requirement, you must wait for at least five years before you can sponsor your spouse. The time starts after you have received your permanent residence."

Now I am confused if this applies on sponsor from a PR only or a sponsor from Canadian citizen as well. Please guide me through on this. Also please enlighten me if there is anyway to go there and work while my PR request is under process.

Thanks!
The 5 year wait applies whether your wife was sponsored by a Canadian citizen or PR. The important part is that she can only sponsor you only after it has been 5 years since she was sponsored.

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
I read back in posts. One post said sister was a citizen. One after said PR. But that doesn't matter.
So you never received your study visa?
Your wife landed last January and only now getting her card? She wait 10 yrs for whole process that's so long. She must be relieved.

Qureshi2015

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
I read back in posts. One post said sister was a citizen. One after said PR. But that doesn't matter.
So you never received your study visa?
Your wife landed last January and only now getting her card? She wait 10 yrs for whole process that's so long. She must be relieved.

That must have been a mistake. She was a citizen and they never gave me study visa. She is relieved but again this 5 years thing is not a relief.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Qureshi2015 said:
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!
The 5 year wait applies whether your wife was sponsored by a Canadian citizen or PR. The important part is that she can only sponsor you only after it has been 5 years since she was sponsored.

The above statement is wrong, it only applies to where a spouse is sponsored. The sponsored spouse can't submit a spousal application for another spouse for 5 years, and the sponsor can't submit an application for another spouse for 3 years.

Qureshi2015

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
Hi

Qureshi2015 said:
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

The above statement is wrong, it only applies to where a spouse is sponsored. The sponsored spouse can't submit a spousal application for another spouse for 5 years, and the sponsor can't submit an application for another spouse for 3 years.

Thank you very much PMM... That is a relief to know that she can sponsor me now... Is there anyway to enter Canada and work there while my application is under process?
Thanks!

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
Hi

Qureshi2015 said:
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

But the spouse is sponsored. By her pr sister.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much PMM... That is a relief to know that she can sponsor me now... Is there anyway to enter Canada and work there while my application is under process?
Thanks!
Only if you can get a TRV (tourist visa) and come to Canada so that your wife can apply for your PR inland. Otherwise it most likely won't be possible since you'll need a job offer and LMIA from an employer in Canada to qualify for a closed work permit (the vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the LMIA process).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
But the spouse is sponsored. By her pr sister.
The five-year ban applies when someone is sponsored by their spouse or common-law or conjugal partner. The rule is there because previously occasionally a sponsored person would get PR, then immediately leave the Canadian sponsor and apply to sponsor their 'real' boyfriend or girlfriend. Now they have to wait five years before they can sponsor someone else as a spouse or partner.
Since the OP was sponsored by her sister, the five-year waiting period does not apply to her. She can sponsor her spouse or partner right away.
However, it sounds to me like there is another problem. Did the husband and wife get married before the wife landed and became a PR? Did the husband get a medical exam?

Qureshi2015

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-11-2017
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-12-2017
The five-year ban applies when someone is sponsored by their spouse or common-law or conjugal partner. The rule is there because previously occasionally a sponsored person would get PR, then immediately leave the Canadian sponsor and apply to sponsor their 'real' boyfriend or girlfriend. Now they have to wait five years before they can sponsor someone else as a spouse or partner.
Since the OP was sponsored by her sister, the five-year waiting period does not apply to her. She can sponsor her spouse or partner right away.
However, it sounds to me like there is another problem. Did the husband and wife get married before the wife landed and became a PR? Did the husband get a medical exam?
Thanks you for your opinion. We got married after she did her first landing in Canada. However her PR card was issued after our marriage because CIC had issue with the pictures' dimensions. We were not married at the time she sent the new pictures. All this happened in April 2016 and we got married in August 2016. As my wife's PR card was not issued till March 2017, so she applied for PR travel document in January 2017 and at that time she provided her marital status details to CIC. We have not started our application yet so no medical or anything I have gone through.

One more question I want to ask you guys is about her income. Does she need to show certain amount of income before filing my application or she can file it without even a job ?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - it doesn't apply. You don't understand the rule. The wife was sponsored by her sister - not a spouse. Therefore she is fine to sponsor her husband immediately and there is no five year wait.