+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife get a TRV while PR is pending (Outland application)?

johnfortin

Apr 19, 2013
Vientiane, Laos
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

We (myself and my Thai wife of 13 years) are in the process of applying for a PR (outland) for her as soon as we get back the silly Queensland Traffic History re:eek:ur time in Australia 11 years ago. However, I have just undergone 6 weeks of radiotherapy for a neck tumor and will cancel the final year of my international school teaching contract in Laos in order to be close to better health access and family in Canada, just in case.

We intend to send our two sons, (both Canadian citizens, ages 12 and 17) ahead to Canada to be in the care of my sisters (their aunts) at the end of June, and to be ready for school in Sept., while my wife and I will stay in Bangkok for final followup evaluation with doctors. We intend to go to Canada at the end of August.

Since we probably won't have submitted the PR application until end of June, it is most likely going to be at least a month for my sponsor approval (although our case is pretty solid), and even if I am approved, we will still have to wait for her approval in Singapore, which apparently may take 6-8 months.

I want to take her with me to Canada at the end of August on a Temporary visitor visa then. I realize that when the PR application is approved, she will have to travel back overseas to pick up her visa, and we are fine with that. The doctors in Bangkok are happy to request such permission from the authorities on the basis of the need for her aid in my recovery. This was actually suggested to me by visa section in Bangkok as something "we could try, but not guaranteed".

So my question is: Should we be able to get the visitor visa while waiting for PR approval? Do I have to be approved first or can we go ahead even before that? We have all been together for 13 years, and to have to leave my wife in Thailand for 6-8 months is a travesty.

Please advise,

John

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

TRV are difficult to get for a spouse, because CIC is concerned that her ties to Canada will be stronger than her ties to Thailand. And with 2 sons and a husband in Canada, obviously she has more reasons to stay in Canada than to leave. They are concerned that she will overstay her visa, and that she won't leave even if she is denied.

That being said - you can always apply. Just don't get your hopes up... try and put together a "good case". Wait until your sponsorship approval is approved, state that you don't want to put the PR in jeopardy and she will comply with the visa dates and leave the country if needed, and maybe the fact that her PR will most likely be approved (2 sons and 13 years marriage seems like a strong case) will play in her favor... but there is no guarantee, and TRV approval rates are very low.

Good luck,
Sweden

johnfortin

Apr 19, 2013
Vientiane, Laos
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes it is true that her ties to Canada are much stronger than Thailand, given that she has not lived there for 12 years, and that myself and her two children will be in Canada. Of course she has more reasons to stay in Canada, but she is totally happy to return overseas to pick up her visa when approved. The assumption is that our case is straightforward, and yes the embassy suggested we do this after the sponsor approval comes through.

I didn't plan getting cancer, but a move to Canada is the best decision for us now after ten years teaching overseas. I can have access to better health care and be near my immediate family.

To leave my wife of 13 years behind is so humiliating. I will take your advice to heart, and if you have any other suggestions I would be most grateful.

John