+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my spouse extend her work permit which she got on my study permit? Urgent

gssidhu90

Jun 8, 2014
Hi All,

My spouse got her work permit as a dependent on my study permit. But now I got a work permit now, so can my spouse extend her work permit till my work permit expires?? She is not employed right now.

Regards,
Gurpreet Singh

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you get a PGWP? If so, she can extend her work permit as long as you have a full time job that is NOC A, B or 0.

gssidhu90

Jun 8, 2014
Hi Scylla,

Yes, I got a PGWP. I got a job offer in NOC 0,A,B. She already has a work permit and is right now in Canada. Does she need to apply a new open work permit or extend her work permit and do I need to provide my pay slips and job description?

Thanks
Gurpreet Singh

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She needs a new OWP; the app is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

Note: If you have an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit, International Experience Canada, et cetera) your spouse must attach a copy of your work permit to their application for an open work permit, along with a:

- letter from your current employer that confirms you work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your employment offer or contract, and
- copy of your recent pay slips.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gssidhu90 said:
Hi Scylla,

Yes, I got a PGWP. I got a job offer in NOC 0,A,B. She already has a work permit and is right now in Canada. Does she need to apply a new open work permit or extend her work permit and do I need to provide my pay slips and job description?

Thanks
Gurpreet Singh
It's not good enough to have a job offer. You must already be working in the job and be able to provide at least one pay stub. You'll have to wait until you have started the job before she will be able to extend her visa.

gssidhu90

Jun 8, 2014
Hi Scylla,

I went through the NOC codes, but I am not able to pin point my job code. If my spouse gets an offer letter, can she extend her work permit on her own? Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Gurpreet

gssidhu90

Jun 8, 2014
scylla said:
It's not good enough to have a job offer. You must already be working in the job and be able to provide at least one pay stub. You'll have to wait until you have started the job before she will be able to extend her visa.
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the guidance. I have got a letter from my employer mentioning NOC code and my job responsibilities. Just wanted to know what else will I need to attach in additional document section for the extension of work permit application of my spouse.

A quick reply will be appreciated.

Thanks

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
gssidhu90 said:
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the guidance. I have got a letter from my employer mentioning NOC code and my job responsibilities. Just wanted to know what else will I need to attach in additional document section for the extension of work permit application of my spouse.

A quick reply will be appreciated.

Thanks
If her work permit is still valid you don't need to apply for a new OWP but if it expires soon then you need one.