+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my spouse apply for EI while my WP is in processing?

kittu03

Apr 3, 2020
I applied for extension of OWP and my spouse PGWP together on Oct 7,2019 and i got refusal for OWP on Jan 10,2020 because we didn’t mentioned her job duties on the job letter. I applied again for my work permit in restoration status on Jan 27,2020.
My wife is laid off due to shortage of work.

I am not sure if she can apply for EI while my work permit is still in processing. Because she should be working full time is one of the criteria for spouse owp. Can you please let me know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied for extension of OWP and my spouse PGWP together on Oct 7,2019 and i got refusal for OWP on Jan 10,2020 because we didn’t mentioned her job duties on the job letter. I applied again for my work permit in restoration status on Jan 27,2020.

I am not sure if she can apply for EI while my work permit is still in processing. Because she should be working full time is one of the criteria for spouse owp. Can you please let me know.
You can apply for EI,she should update her SOWP that you are unemployed due to covid. I would say withdraw her application but there may be some flexbility.

Sky29

Apr 3, 2019

Hi i just want to ask is she continue applying EI while your work permit is still processing?