+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can my research assistantship count words work experience?

J-Do

Jun 19, 2010
Hello,
I recently graduated from a BSc program at one of the Canadian universities, and I was also accepted into MSc in engineeing program at the same university. In the letter of admission, it says I will recieve $12000.00 per year in a form of research assistantship.

I emailed my supervisor and asked her how many hours of week of work this research assistantship will entail, and she emailed me back as shown below:

"RA - research assistantship is not a salary, as the name implies it is an assistantship for helping a graduate student financially. Graduate studies is not a job; a graduate student is doing course work and thesis research for his own interests and benefits; your supervisor is here to guide you so that you can complete your degree successfully. Graduate studies is goal oriented and thus there is no pre-set hour limit. Most graduate students spend significantly more than 40 hours a week in course work and research. "

...will my research assistantship count toward 1 year work experience required under CEC?
I mean, I am still getting paid .... :S

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
There is considerable debate on this forum about this topic - do a search to read previous posts.

In my opinion - No, not if you are not an employee of the university. What you will receive is a stipend, not a salary or wages (and will likely receive a T4A instead of a T4). You are supported to do your own research, not someone else's. Your supervisor clearly knows the difference.

From a practical stand point, you would need a letter of employment from your supervisor, as well as the ability to document the number of hours you worked. Doesn't sound like that is a possibility.

On a positive note, congratulations on the research assistantship! What that means is you can do your studies full time, and not have to do other work at the same time. Be grateful :)

And look into the Provincial Nominee program for your province. In Ontario (Opportunities Ontario) currently has pilot program where anyone who graduates with a master's degree from an Ontario university automatically qualifies for PR (no job required).

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
J-Do said:
Hello,
I recently graduated from a BSc program at one of the Canadian universities, and I was also accepted into MSc in engineeing program at the same university. In the letter of admission, it says I will recieve $12000.00 per year in a form of research assistantship.

I emailed my supervisor and asked her how many hours of week of work this research assistantship will entail, and she emailed me back as shown below:

"RA - research assistantship is not a salary, as the name implies it is an assistantship for helping a graduate student financially. Graduate studies is not a job; a graduate student is doing course work and thesis research for his own interests and benefits; your supervisor is here to guide you so that you can complete your degree successfully. Graduate studies is goal oriented and thus there is no pre-set hour limit. Most graduate students spend significantly more than 40 hours a week in course work and research. "

...will my research assistantship count toward 1 year work experience required under CEC?
I mean, I am still getting paid .... :S
Same here. Im doing my phd and am employed by the university as a RA/TA. I have letters from my supervisors, human resources and T4/T4A's. Still not sure whether I meet the graduate stream requirements but at this point I'm just going to apply and see what happens.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
jes_ON said:
There is considerable debate on this forum about this topic - do a search to read previous posts.

In my opinion - No, not if you are not an employee of the university. What you will receive is a stipend, not a salary or wages (and will likely receive a T4A instead of a T4). You are supported to do your own research, not someone else's. Your supervisor clearly knows the difference.

From a practical stand point, you would need a letter of employment from your supervisor, as well as the ability to document the number of hours you worked. Doesn't sound like that is a possibility.

On a positive note, congratulations on the research assistantship! What that means is you can do your studies full time, and not have to do other work at the same time. Be grateful :)

And look into the Provincial Nominee program for your province. In Ontario (Opportunities Ontario) currently has pilot program where anyone who graduates with a master's degree from an Ontario university automatically qualifies for PR (no job required).
Please note also that recent changes to the PNP in British Columbia enables graduates from Masters and PhD programs in natural, health and applied sciences to apply for PR in advance of receiving and accepting a full-time offer of employment, eliminating the need to wait for a job offer. This is a three-year pilot project. The main difference between the new category and the old is that these graduates do not require a job offer from a BC employer in order to apply; they will however be required to demonstrate their intent to reside in BC and their ability to become economically established in the province.

Essat

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
Essat said:
Please note also that recent changes to the PNP in British Columbia enables graduates from Masters and PhD programs in natural, health and applied sciences to apply for PR in advance of receiving and accepting a full-time offer of employment, eliminating the need to wait for a job offer. This is a three-year pilot project. The main difference between the new category and the old is that these graduates do not require a job offer from a BC employer in order to apply; they will however be required to demonstrate their intent to reside in BC and their ability to become economically established in the province.

Essat
Ugh waiting for Alberta to catch up... :(

borna

Jan 5, 2011
Hi
Did you finally apply for ECE? Do you have T4 or T4A tax forms for your research assistantship?\
Cheers
Borna

Prabhas

Jan 18, 2011
hmm interesting... WELL I also have a question I will be doing a Research Tech job on my Post graduation work permit, if my supervisor/employeer gives me a stipend will that be ok? I mean if he pays say 14,000 per year which is about 4.32 $ per hour for 40 hours per week can I apply for CEC after One year or you need to have a minimum salary of 10$ or 15$ per hour?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Prabhas, honestly, it sounds like you are trying to "game" the system and I think CIC will think that, too. C'mon, even students make more than that - or at least the 14,000 "stipend" will be for part-time work. It sounds like your "supervisor" should be hiring a student, and/or you should be on a study visa, not PGWP.

And yes, I think the slave wages will raise a red flag.

Prabhas

Jan 18, 2011
hmm I was skeptic about that.. anyways he is waiting for his grant till february, and has told me he would give me the "job" so probably if its 1600$ per month I think I could be safe? What is the min salary I should ask him?