+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my PGWP-holder spouse travel to Canada with me (a Canadian student)?

MRW

Jan 22, 2021
I have received my study permit and visa to travel to Canada and pursue my course in the fall batch.
Meanwhile, my husband has applied for a PGWP from outside Canada and is waiting for it now (he had pursued a course in Canada in 2020 and so is eligible for a PGWP even though he came back to his home country).
Once he receives his work permit, will he be able to travel with me (even though he won't have a job offer) so that we can stay together as I study and he looks for a job in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Possibly not as it states that family members of study visa holders should have applied at the state ”If you’re an adult student with a family member who wants to come with you to Canada, you must submit your applications together when you apply online.” Since he has PGWP, it would be best if he applies for written authorization to travel unless he has a job offer or can show he normally lives in Canada. If you don’t want to apply for written authorization then you can book your flights and try to board. If denied then he will need written authorization.

MRW

Jan 22, 2021
Possibly not as it states that family members of study visa holders should have applied at the state ”If you’re an adult student with a family member who wants to come with you to Canada, you must submit your applications together when you apply online.” Since he has PGWP, it would be best if he applies for written authorization to travel unless he has a job offer or can show he normally lives in Canada. If you don’t want to apply for written authorization then you can book your flights and try to board. If denied then he will need written authorization.
Thank you.
What is the process of getting a written authorization?

MRW

Jan 22, 2021

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

MRW

Jan 22, 2021
You should be able to apply with LOE.
Also, my husband's visa has expired. However he will be receiving a travel visa once his PGWP is approved. Is it advisable to apply for authorization letter right now or should he wait until he gets his visa and his LOE for PGWP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also, my husband's visa has expired. However he will be receiving a travel visa once his PGWP is approved. Is it advisable to apply for authorization letter right now or should he wait until he gets his visa and his LOE for PGWP?
He can apply for authorization now.