+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my non-canadian brother sponsor my studies in canada?

miguel123092

Oct 28, 2021
Good day! I am from the Philippines planning to study in canada, I am wondering if my older brother, who is a licensed physician here in the Philippines, has no wife and kids, can sponsor my studies? Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good day! I am from the Philippines planning to study in canada, I am wondering if my older brother, who is a licensed physician here in the Philippines, has no wife and kids, can sponsor my studies? Thank you!
Yes, but you want to show some of your own funds especially if you are in your 20s or 30s.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
He can, but depending on other factors like your age, if you're independent, among others, the immigration agent may question why is he sponsoring you. For example, if you're over 30, married and with kids, it wouldn't look correct that your brother is sponsoring you when you're supposed to be an independent person. On the other hand, if you're in your early 20's without many financial responsibilities, it may look better.

miguel123092

Oct 28, 2021
He can, but depending on other factors like your age, if you're independent, among others, the immigration agent may question why is he sponsoring you. For example, if you're over 30, married and with kids, it wouldn't look correct that your brother is sponsoring you when you're supposed to be an independent person. On the other hand, if you're in your early 20's without many financial responsibilities, it may look better.
I apologize for not giving more details. I am a married 29 yr old with no children, a college graduate who is hoping for a change of career path because of the recent global problems and have around CAD60,000 in my bank account. The program I will be taking costs 34k for the 2 years. I was thinking of making my sponsor just to support my living expenses.

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I apologize for not giving more details. I am a married 29 yr old with no children, a college graduate who is hoping for a change of career path because of the recent global problems and have around CAD60,000 in my bank account. The program I will be taking costs 34k for the 2 years. I was thinking of making my sponsor just to support my living expenses.
You dont need to have additional sponsor provided your proof of fund meet the requirement.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Kabayan, if you have $60K in your bank account, best to apply under SDS. The only financial documents you need are GIC deposit of $10k and 1 year tuition paid upfront. If you have properties, attach that as proof of ties to home country.