+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my great Aunt(My maternal grandmother's sister) sponsor me ?

LavishHanda

Mar 11, 2018
Hi,

I have an Aunt who is a citizen of Canada and is ready to sponsor me over there. I just have a few questions in mind. If somebody can answer these questions it'll be of great help !!

1) Is this relation possible to be sponsored? - Till date I have only heard of spouse, parents etc sponsorship.

2) Is there a constraint on the number of sponsorship one can make ? - She is ready to sponsor me and my cousin (My Mother's nephew).

3) How long does it usually takes(in months) after all the procedures, undertakings, assessments and applications?

Thank You

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I have an Aunt who is a citizen of Canada and is ready to sponsor me over there. I just have a few questions in mind. If somebody can answer these questions it'll be of great help !!

1) Is this relation possible to be sponsored? - Till date I have only heard of spouse, parents etc sponsorship.

2) Is there a constraint on the number of sponsorship one can make ? - She is ready to sponsor me and my cousin (My Mother's nephew).

3) How long does it usually takes(in months) after all the procedures, undertakings, assessments and applications?

Thank You
The usual questions...

Is she married or have children?
Does she have any living parents or grandparents, anywhere in the world?
Does she have any other family members who are already Canadian citizens or PRs?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/eligibility.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

In general, No this is not possible under general sponsorship rules.

It's only possible if she is alone. So as mentioned above, she has no spouse or kids, no parents alive, and no family who are PRs or citizens. If she has any of these, then she is ineligible to sponsor you.

Even if she did qualify by being completely alone, she can only choose ONE relative to sponsor. So would need to choose between you or your cousin, not both.