+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my future wife immigrate to Canada?

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, My name is Max and i'm a newcomer in Canada!

My girlfriend lives in Israel, I'm dating her for 5 months.
I want to marry her, My question is..Can she immigrate to Canada if we'll get married?
P.S - I have a permanent resident.

I've heard there is lots of way to immigrate to Canada, I'd like to hear your advice :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Welcome to Canada!

if you're a PR, and you get married, then yes, you can sponsor her to come to Canada. It takes a while, and you'll have to prepare your application, but it's possible. You have to stay in Canada when you sponsor her - you can not be living outside of Canada. You can go and visit her for short period of times ( something like 2 weeks) but must be in Canada during the process.
read the first thread - not the whole thread, just the first page - to know more about the sponsorship process.
Good luck,
Sweden

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
Hi Sweden!
Thanks!
I've read the first thread about sponsorship process etc etc.
Since I got some questions I preferred to submit a new thread.

Can I marry her in Canada while shes with a tourist Visa?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
AzulaiPark said:
Hi Sweden!
Thanks!
I've read the first thread about sponsorship process etc etc.
Since I got some questions I preferred to submit a new thread.

Can I marry her in Canada while shes with a tourist Visa?
Yes, but if you marry her this quick, it will raise red flags for CIC. It's better if you date for at least 1 year. Were you living together before you came to Canada? Have you gone to visit her in Israel? (Or do you plan to before you get married?) If you get married in Canada, can your family attend? Her family? Does she have an Israeli passport? Or will she need a visa to enter Canada?

(Sorry I'm being nosy, but I'm asking because this information can help too. :) )

Another question - are you from the same religion?

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
I appreciate your help amikety!

Were you living together before you came to Canada?
Hard to say, Not official..I lived with my parents (I'm 22 years old) and she lived with us.

Have you gone to visit her in Israel?
I have arrived to Canada like 14 days ago? For your question, No :( BUT I'm planing to visit her IN CASE its illegal to marry in Canada with Tourist Visa.

can your family attend? Her family?
Sure thing! My family can attend 100%, Her family cant IN CASE we'll get married in Canada.

Does she have an Israeli passport?
Yes she does.

are you from the same religion?
I'm Christian, She is Jewish.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long did she live with you before you came to Canada?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
the reason Scylla asked ( I suppose!) is because if you had lived together for 12 months, you were considered common-law. It would have been a problem if you had emigrated but not declared her.
5 months is not a problem.

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
OK so here is what I have understood till now,
I can marry her in Canada WHILE shes a tourist.
She CAN live in Canada for 1 year with tourist Visa.
While she lives with me in Canada it is possible to complete her immigration process.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
AzulaiPark said:
OK so here is what I have understood till now,
I can marry her in Canada WHILE shes a tourist.
She CAN live in Canada for 1 year with tourist Visa.
While she lives with me in Canada it is possible to complete her immigration process.
technically she is not "living" in Canada, she is "visiting" you for as long as her visa allows. She might be given 3 or 6 months at the border, then she will have to apply for an extension ( most often granted if you are applying for PR).
You can marry her in Canada - yes. you can start preparing the forms etc already now, as it takes a while to get everything sorted out. Get familiar with the forms, start gathering proofs etc. Have the application almost ready, then when she comes, you can get married, and as soon as you have the marriage certificate, you can send the application.

If you apply outland, she will have to maintain status in Canada ( by applying for an extension). If you apply inland, she can not leave Canada for the duration of the application, and generally speaking, for Tel Aviv applicants it might be longer. But with an inland application, she will get a work permit after 6 months. so up to you and her to decide what suits you best.

Sweden

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
AzulaiPark said:
I appreciate your help amikety!

Were you living together before you came to Canada?
Hard to say, Not official..I lived with my parents (I'm 22 years old) and she lived with us.

Have you gone to visit her in Israel?
I have arrived to Canada like 14 days ago? For your question, No :( BUT I'm planing to visit her IN CASE its illegal to marry in Canada with Tourist Visa.

can your family attend? Her family?
Sure thing! My family can attend 100%, Her family cant IN CASE we'll get married in Canada.

Does she have an Israeli passport?
Yes she does.

are you from the same religion?
I'm Christian, She is Jewish.
Living together is actually good. You can document it is as proof of your relationship. Since it was only 5 months, you won't be Common-Law so no worries there.

It's usually best to have 1-2 visits before marriage - although since you have lived together, it's not nearly as important. (Is she living with your parents still?)

What type of Jewish community is she from? Conservative, Reform, Orthodox, or Ultra-Orthodox? If you're deeply religious, does your denomination require the spouse to convert and/or promise to raise the children as Christian? And most important, have you already discussed it and decide what is best for your family? That's really what is important - if either or both of you is very religious, it wouldn't hurt to include a letter about your plans for your family on the religious side. CIC will ask about your religion and what faith the ceremony was done in. (For example, I wrote: We were married in a civil ceremony. My husband is athiest and I am non-practicing - because I don't attend a church or really consider myself of any denomination.)

By chance, is her family not attending because they don't approve of her marrying a Christian? You will need to write a letter about why they didn't come. If my guess is correct, that will provide a valid reason - although it's even more important you and your wife write letters about how your inter-faith relationship will work as I suggested above.

It is possible she can live with you while her visa is in process. Just make sure she remains in status as a visitor (or applies for an open work permit if you apply Inland).

She can live in Canada for 6 months (not 1 year) without a visa. ;) She can either get a Visitor's Record (visitor paperwork for visa exempt) or travel to the US border and "flagpole" for a new passport stamp, which gives her an additional 6 months if no date is written on the stamp. If at any point in time the IO writes a date on the stamp, her visitor status is only valid until that date.

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
amikety said:
Living together is actually good. You can document it is as proof of your relationship. Since it was only 5 months, you won't be Common-Law so no worries there.

It's usually best to have 1-2 visits before marriage - although since you have lived together, it's not nearly as important. (Is she living with your parents still?)

What type of Jewish community is she from? Conservative, Reform, Orthodox, or Ultra-Orthodox? If you're deeply religious, does your denomination require the spouse to convert and/or promise to raise the children as Christian? And most important, have you already discussed it and decide what is best for your family? That's really what is important - if either or both of you is very religious, it wouldn't hurt to include a letter about your plans for your family on the religious side. CIC will ask about your religion and what faith the ceremony was done in. (For example, I wrote: We were married in a civil ceremony. My husband is athiest and I am non-practicing - because I don't attend a church or really consider myself of any denomination.)

By chance, is her family not attending because they don't approve of her marrying a Christian? You will need to write a letter about why they didn't come. If my guess is correct, that will provide a valid reason - although it's even more important you and your wife write letters about how your inter-faith relationship will work as I suggested above.

It is possible she can live with you while her visa is in process. Just make sure she remains in status as a visitor (or applies for an open work permit if you apply Inland).

She can live in Canada for 6 months (not 1 year) without a visa. ;) She can either get a Visitor's Record (visitor paperwork for visa exempt) or travel to the US border and "flagpole" for a new passport stamp, which gives her an additional 6 months if no date is written on the stamp. If at any point in time the IO writes a date on the stamp, her visitor status is only valid until that date.
For your question :
Is she living with your parents still?
My parents are in Canada :)
What type of Jewish community is she from?
Shes atheist.
is her family not attending because they don't approve of her marrying a Christian?
Theyre not attending because they dont have the money to come to Canada :( They dont care I'm a christian.

I have a question,
Can I merry her in Israel? Its called outland right?
Where can I call / go in order to choose what path I wanna take?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Well, that's actually good news, because they ran write a letter stating they couldn't afford the trip to Canada, but are aware of your relationship (and approve hopefully). It does suck they can't afford to visit though!

You can marry her in any country you wish as long as it's legal. You can marry in Israel, Canada, the USA, anywhere in the world. All that matters is the marriage is a legal ceremony in the country it is performed.

If she stays with you in Canada, she apply Outland or Inland. The Tel Aviv office is rather fast at 8 months. That means 80% of applications are processed in 8 months or less, some faster and 20% may be longer. Inland processed in 14 months. However if she's outside Canada, she can only apply to Tel Aviv as Outland. Please review Leon's post for the pros and cons for Inland/Outland and let us know what questions you have regarding it.

AzulaiPark

Apr 30, 2013
I have a question,
Which of those two ways are the best / fastest way for her to get PR ;
1)If we will get marry OUTSIDE of Canada.
2)If we will get marry INSIDE of Canada.

We have pictures, Facebook texting, Love letters.
We're dating 5 months, But we know each other like a year.

And how much CAN it cost using a lawyer.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
AzulaiPark said:
I have a question,
Which of those two ways are the best / fastest way for her to get PR ;
1)If we will get marry OUTSIDE of Canada.
2)If we will get marry INSIDE of Canada.

We have pictures, Facebook texting, Love letters.
We're dating 5 months, But we know each other like a year.

And how much CAN it cost using a lawyer.

Welcome to Canada and this forum AzulaiPark. To answer your questions above specifically - it is not where you physically get married - it is if you submit your application either inland (within Canada) or outland (to the visa office in Tel Aviv). You can get married either in Israel or Canada.

The outland application is faster. The current processing times for the Tel Aviv office are 28 days for sponsor approval (you are the sponsor) and up to 8 months for the applicant (your future wife). Total of approx. 9 months. If you apply inland sponsor approval can take up to 6 months and the applicant processing will also take up to 8 months for a total of 14 months. See for yourself at this CIC link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

As other forum members have replied already in their previous posts to your other questions about pros and cons of each scenario, I suggest you discuss those with your family and girlfriend as well as a lawyer if you decide to go that route. Hiring a lawyer can cost between $2500 up to about $5000, be careful that you screen and research any potential legal services very well. Most lawyers will do a free consultation and ensure you get quotes from at least 3. Their service is important, will they return your calls/e-mails on a timely basis, do you feel comfortable with them and will they handle your file directly or will it be assigned to a junior associate with their oversight. Very important - buyer beware :). Blessings.