+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my friend get an ETA?

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
He's a Venezuelan citizen with a valid passport but its new and has no travel history.
I want to pay for him to come see me in Canada whereby I would support him with accommodation and expenses.
It would just be a normal ETA so a tourist visa and for a week or 2. I can't see anything that prevents it on google but just seeing if anyone knows here.

I'm asking in non covid rules right now just to uncomplicate it and know if its possible.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He's a Venezuelan citizen with a valid passport but its new and has no travel history.
I want to pay for him to come see me in Canada whereby I would support him with accommodation and expenses.
It would just be a normal ETA so a tourist visa and for a week or 2. I can't see anything that prevents it on google but just seeing if anyone knows here.

I'm asking in non covid rules right now just to uncomplicate it and know if its possible.
Are Venezuelans even eligible for an ETA (visa exemption)…thought citizens needed a visitor visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Does he hold a US green card?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did a ETA checker on the ircc website and it just says they need a visa, it doesn't give any context
ETA is only for certain citizens of visa exempt countries. Venezuala is not on the list. Your friend applies for a visitor visa. Your friend shows ties to home country (job, property, investments, family), travel history, reason to travel, itinerary and funds (bank accounts). Your friend must show funds that support a visit.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
ETA is only for certain citizens of visa exempt countries. Venezuala is not on the list. Your friend applies for a visitor visa. Your friend shows ties to home country (job, property, investments, family), travel history, reason to travel, itinerary and funds (bank accounts). Your friend must show funds that support a visit.
Oh it must have meant visa then.

He only has a job and family for ties to home, he has no travel history on his passport.

Funds would be ok but I guess that depends on how much. If they're staying a week they expect a week of funds perhaps?
Though I was playing to pay for his hotel accommodation.

Lastly I'm a student in canada on a student visa, is that still ok for them to visit me..? Do i need to be PR/Citizen? Or is it just about them supporting themselves during their stay?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did a ETA checker on the ircc website and it just says they need a visa, it doesn't give any context
Visa = TRV. He needs a TRV and doesn't qualify for an eTA.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh it must have meant visa then.

He only has a job and family for ties to home, he has no travel history on his passport.

Funds would be ok but I guess that depends on how much. If they're staying a week they expect a week of funds perhaps?
Though I was playing to pay for his hotel accommodation.

Lastly I'm a student in canada on a student visa, is that still ok for them to visit me..? Do i need to be PR/Citizen? Or is it just about them supporting themselves during their stay?
You can issue a letter of invitation. Given you are not a PR or citizen then they really need to show that they can support a visit to Canada. So they need to show their bank funds (liquid) to pay for costs of travel and staying in Canada. Not having travel history will impact their application too. He will want a letter from his employer stating he has a job and has authorized vacation.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
You can issue a letter of invitation. Given you are not a PR or citizen then they really need to show that they can support a visit to Canada. So they need to show their bank funds (liquid) to pay for costs of travel and staying in Canada. Not having travel history will impact their application too. He will want a letter from his employer stating he has a job and has authorized vacation.
Oh ok cool thanks a lot! So I can just say they're staying with me and i live at x address and they upload it to their visa application online? I appreciate you replying with that information. I wonder if they should first visit another country in south america to get that travel history.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh ok cool thanks a lot! So I can just say they're staying with me and i live at x address and they upload it to their visa application online? I appreciate you replying with that information. I wonder if they should first visit another country in south america to get that travel history.
Travel history is to visa countries - UK, US, NZ and AUS. Visiting SA countries will not be considered unless you need a visitor visa to visit. They need a really strong profile and you should research if your letter of invitation needs to be notarized. There will be issues that your friend will claim asylum so your friends needs a very strong profile with essential reasons to visit since you are not PR or citizen.

Canada and the Venezuela crisis (international.gc.ca)
Refugee Protection Claims (New System) by Country of Alleged Persecution - 2021 - Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (irb.gc.ca)