+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my family sponsor my cousin

ug256

Jul 14, 2019
Hello forum my cousin was raised by a single mother but in March her mother abruptly passed on. My mother has pretty much been financially providing for all her fees and needs and before my family immigrated to Canada in 2016 she used to live with us. Which brings me to my question, is she considered an orphan despite the fact that we don't know her father's whereabouts all we know is that she is 'homeless' because she lives with a different relative every other month because no one is willing to take her on financially. She is 14 and my mother is a PR my dad is a Citizen. Any advice.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello forum my cousin was raised by a single mother but in March her mother abruptly passed on. My mother has pretty much been financially providing for all her fees and needs and before my family immigrated to Canada in 2016 she used to live with us. Which brings me to my question, is she considered an orphan despite the fact that we don't know her father's whereabouts all we know is that she is 'homeless' because she lives with a different relative every other month because no one is willing to take her on financially. She is 14 and my mother is a PR my dad is a Citizen. Any advice.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

It all hinges on the legal status of the father. As your mother's niece, there is a possibility here but I think that you are going to need to seek professional legal advice first.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need professional advice but believe this would be considered an adoption of convenience if one parent is still alive.