+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my employer provide both employment letter and reference letter to show proof of ability?

LilyE

Dec 22, 2022
Hello everyone, I’m applying under the HCCP program and my brother in law is my employer. He is married to my sister. So he will be providing me with the job offer form. My question is can my sister give me a reference letter to show proof of my ability to do the job. I ask this because there have been times when they came back to Nigeria for vacation and I helped babysit their kids, while they go on a weekend gateaway. This surely should count as proof of my ability to do the work. So is it possible for a job offer and reference letter to be from the same person if you’ve worked for them in the past? Or would IRCC frown at this especially because they are my family?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone, I’m applying under the HCCP program and my brother in law is my employer. He is married to my sister. So he will be providing me with the job offer form. My question is can my sister give me a reference letter to show proof of my ability to do the job. I ask this because there have been times when they came back to Nigeria for vacation and I helped babysit their kids, while they go on a weekend gateaway. This surely should count as proof of my ability to do the work. So is it possible for a job offer and reference letter to be from the same person if you’ve worked for them in the past? Or would IRCC frown at this especially because they are my family?
Following IRCC guidelines, the letter should include your NOC/position, job title, duties, dates worked, number of hours worked per week and your salary/wages.

LilyE

Dec 22, 2022
Following IRCC guidelines, the letter should include your NOC/position, job title, duties, dates worked, number of hours worked per week and your salary/wages.

I’m not sure this answers my question. To clarify, can my job offer be from the same person who’s giving me a reference letter?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I’m not sure this answers my question. To clarify, can my job offer be from the same person who’s giving me a reference letter?
Yes if you provide the above in the letter. You will need to provide pay stubs/tax returns to prove you did the work.

LilyE

Dec 22, 2022
Yes if you provide the above in the letter. You will need to provide pay stubs/tax returns to prove you did the work.
Thanks for your response. I won’t be able to provide pay stubs/tax returns because it wasn’t a paid job. I just helped them look after their kids while they were away. I’m applying under the “gaining experience category” where unpaid experience is allowed. So can I still use a reference letter from her without paystubs to back it up. (To show my ability to do the job) And also get job offer from her husband?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your response. I won’t be able to provide pay stubs/tax returns because it wasn’t a paid job. I just helped them look after their kids while they were away. I’m applying under the “gaining experience category” where unpaid experience is allowed. So can I still use a reference letter from her without paystubs to back it up. (To show my ability to do the job) And also get job offer from her husband?
This is what the HCCP selection criteria states.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/pathways-for-caregivers/child-care-provider-support-pilots/assessing-application-selection-criteria.html#ability

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you have better proof/experience? I would include the strongest/best experience like paid full or part-time position over months or years begore include the family infrequent babysitting. Reference letters from formal employers will be more important partially because there is huge conflict of interest when it comes to your sister providing a reference letter when their family also want to hire you. Looking after your sister’s children for the weekend when they have come back to Nigeria is not very strong proof. Assume that it is rather infrequent and unpaid. How long do they visit evey year and how many weekend getaways do they go on everytime they go to Nigeria? Can only imagine that maybe only one time each visit. Had you had been their full time caregiver in Nigeria before they came to Canada that would be much stronger evidence.