+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my child outside Canada apply for citizenship together with me?

danyalejandro

Aug 7, 2015
British Columbia
I'm a PR living and working in Canada (Vancouver, BC) and plan to apply for citizenship in a couple of years.

My wife who lives and works in Colombia (holds PR but won't apply for Canadian citizenship) is having a baby. The baby will be born in Colombia due to my wife's health conditions, and we plan for the baby to stay in Colombia for a few years. We plan to apply for the baby's PR as soon as we can.

After 2 years when I apply for citizenship, can I apply with the baby together? Any advice on what to keep in mind?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a PR living and working in Canada (Vancouver, BC) and plan to apply for citizenship in a couple of years.

My wife who lives and works in Colombia (holds PR but won't apply for Canadian citizenship) is having a baby. The baby will be born in Colombia due to my wife's health conditions, and we plan for the baby to stay in Colombia for a few years. We plan to apply for the baby's PR as soon as we can.

After 2 years when I apply for citizenship, can I apply with the baby together? Any advice on what to keep in mind?

Thank you.
I think the main piece of advice is that you baby must be a PR before you can include the child in your citizenship application. So you'll need to sponsor the baby for PR (after it's born) and the child will need to travel to Canada and land to officially become a PR before including in your citizenship application will be possible.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you.
1. Not until the child is a PR and residing in Canada.