+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Landlord force tenant to move to other room?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
im in this problem, the landlord is saying that i should move to downstairs room, bec he is planning to rent the whole ground floor (where im staying right now) to some group or couple.

i dont want to move downstairs, as it is like a basement. :(

what can i do? can i say NO? what will be the consequences? and i dont want to leave this room and place, because the location is very good.

place is in toronto.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have a signed lease?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i have signed lease (the contract) for 6 months.

and AFAIK, after my contract expires, i can just stay here and pay month-to-month. http://i.imgur.com/CkEGncw.png

but in the lease, it does not mention anything about which room or room number i will be receiving.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushilsrk said:
find a new place as simple as that
you think finding a good neat place is easy?

answer is no. that's why im hesitating to leave this place, coz the rent is cheap and place is very good, many stores around here.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
i have signed lease (the contract) for 6 months.

and AFAIK, after my contract expires, i can just stay here and pay month-to-month. http://i.imgur.com/CkEGncw.png

but in the lease, it does not mention anything about which room or room number i will be receiving.
You are entitled to stay there for 6 months but then, the owner can find a "legitimate" reason to not sign a month-to-month lease and then you would have to move (or get embroiled in legal issues)- what if he/she says that the reason you have to leave is because they need to repair the house? You cannot refuse to leave because you think the rent is cheap and there are shops nearby. If they give you 30 days (or 60 days) notice to leave, no judge is going to rule in your favour. The choice is yours.

My thing is if the owner doesnt want you in the room which was originally assigned to you, and you dont want to live in the new room - just move. Is there any point in living in a place where you have antagonized the owner?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^
He doesnt have any legit reason, he is just planning to rent out the whole floor to some group of friends or couple who are willing to give money in bulk instead if getting money by individual tenants. I also told him i can pay little bit much than expected, he just dont want it.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is an OWNER and you lease was only for 6 months and is over. You can do nothing and nobody could help you. (that's why people BUY thier own houses- to be the master and not depended on some landlord wish).

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
^
He doesnt have any legit reason, he is just planning to rent out the whole floor to some group of friends or couple who are willing to give money in bulk instead if getting money by individual tenants. I also told him i can pay little bit much than expected, he just dont want it.
That is reason enough - you may not like it but it IS a reason. It is his house and he has the right to rent it out as he pleases. Like I said before, for 6 months he cannot touch you but after 6 months, he can give you 30 days notice to vacate and you have to. If you dont, he can start eviction process against you and, as a renter, you really dont want that on your profile.

The housing rules were meant to protect tenants from slumlords or owners that have unreasonable terms. From what little you have told us, it doesnt seem that this owner has any unreasonable terms or is keeping his place like a doggy shack. Its just that you dont want to move because it fulfills your needs and wants. That doesnt mean the owner has to please your needs and wants. He is in a business and he has the right to protect his interests - as long as he doesnt break any rules.