+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN JUDICIAL REVIEW BE THE LIFE SAVER?

hope_life

Apr 24, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The answer to this question is yes, I will explain it later through my posts by quoting examples.

Here are few FAQs abt JR.

1. What is Judicial Review ?
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/judicial-review-process-t103428.0.html;msg1433795#msg1433795

2. How much time does the entire process take?
It normally takes 9-10 months.

3. How much does the entire process cost?
A qualified Canadian attorney charges 3000-4000 Cad$, cost varies from case to case.

4. Does this fee include everything?
Yes, generally.

5. I am a Canadian citizen, Can I represent my case on own.
Yes (conditions applied).

6. Can every decision (FSW) be challenged in the FCC?
Yes.

7. What are the chances of grant of Judicial Review?
There is no guarantee of such thing.

8. Are there chances when the respondent refuses to fight the case?
Yes, when they find, that a material error has been made by them.
Eg. When a case has been refused on the ground that a particular document has not been submitted by the applicant whereas the document was indeed submitted.

9. I have heard Judges give high deference to the VO, is that right?
Absolutely, Judges can check standard of review, they can interfere if the law has been breached.
In simple words, if they find, VO has not followed the law while making the decision.

10. Can a Judge overturn the VO’s decision?
No , the judge can't do that, the Judge can ask another VO to re-assess the application.

11. Is Canadian judge fair in their judgement?
Absolutely, even a miniscule error done by the Visa Officer is caught.

12. My case is refused due to job duties mismatch, can I go for JR?
Well, you can, if you think there has been an injustice done to you, If you think you have been performing those duties and can prove them.

13. Are there some cases, which have been granted JR on JD?
Yes.

14. When there are strong chances of me, winning the case?
Well, when you can prove there has been a mistake committed by the VO or a breach of procedural fairness has been done.

15. I have been made inadmissible under 40 (1) (a) as per IRPA?
It needs a great standard of Procedural Fairness before imposing 40 (1) (a).
(The definition has separately written, will be available soon.)

16. Can I claim for the costs?
Well, you can but costs are hardly awarded.

plz do share your precious opinion.

your bro, hope.

Reactions: cnkikw

hope_life

Apr 24, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seniors, plz write ur fair opinion abt JR, so that other fellow members, may take benefit of JR who dont have
any other option left.

waiting for ur feed.

thx.

hope_life said:
The answer to this question is yes, I will explain it later through my posts by quoting examples.

Here are few FAQs abt JR.

1. What is Judicial Review ?
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/judicial-review-process-t103428.0.html;msg1433795#msg1433795

2. How much time does the entire process take?
It normally takes 9-10 months.

3. How much does the entire process cost?
A qualified Canadian attorney charges 3000-4000 Cad$, cost varies from case to case.

4. Does this fee include everything?
Yes, generally.

5. I am a Canadian citizen, Can I represent my case on own.
Yes (conditions applied).

6. Can every decision (FSW) be challenged in the FCC?
Yes.

7. What are the chances of grant of Judicial Review?
There is no guarantee of such thing.

8. Are there chances when the respondent refuses to fight the case?
Yes, when they find, that a material error has been made by them.
Eg. When a case has been refused on the ground that a particular document has not been submitted by the applicant whereas the document was indeed submitted.

9. I have heard Judges give high deference to the VO, is that right?
Absolutely, Judges can check standard of review, they can interfere if the law has been breached.
In simple words, if they find, VO has not followed the law while making the decision.

10. Can a Judge overturn the VO's decision?
No , the judge can't do that, the Judge can ask another VO to re-assess the application.

11. Is Canadian judge fair in their judgement?
Absolutely, even a miniscule error done by the Visa Officer is caught.

12. My case is refused due to job duties mismatch, can I go for JR?
Well, you can, if you think there has been an injustice done to you, If you think you have been performing those duties and can prove them.

13. Are there some cases, which have been granted JR on JD?
Yes.

14. When there are strong chances of me, winning the case?
Well, when you can prove there has been a mistake committed by the VO or a breach of procedural fairness has been done.

15. I have been made inadmissible under 40 (1) (a) as per IRPA?
It needs a great standard of Procedural Fairness before imposing 40 (1) (a).
(The definition has separately written, will be available soon.)

16. Can I claim for the costs?
Well, you can but costs are hardly awarded.

plz do share your precious opinion.

your bro, hope.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
I am presently in the midst of the judicial review process. It is quite different than the CIC process itself because it is a bona fide legal process, complete with formalities, rigid time lines and a strong reliance upon case law.

There are a couple of documents that I found useful when considering judicial review:

- Federal Court of Canada's guide to Immigration cases (http://cas-ncr-nter03.cas-satj.gc.ca/fct-cf/pdf/Immigration_practice_guide_e.pdf)
- ENF 9 ("Judicial Review") the enforcement manual on the judicial review process (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op22-eng.pdf)
- OP 22 ("Judicial Review") the outland processing manual on the judicial review process (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op22-eng.pdf)
- CP 8 ("Appeals) the appeals for citizenship process covers judicial review as well (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/cp/cp08-eng.pdf)
- Baker v Canada - the primary case with respect to the use of judicial review, particularly immigration with respect to procedural fairness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_v._Canada_%28Minister_of_Citizenship_and_Immigration%29)

Here is a good bit of text explaining the nature of judicial review:

[A] judicial review of a decision is not an appeal on the merits of the case. The Court cannot substitute its decision for that of the decision maker. Rather, the Court is examining the process that led to the decision and determining if this process was fair and reasonable. If the Court determines that it was not, the Court may only quash the decision in question and order a redetermination. Judges cannot order which decision is to be made, although they may issue directions as to how the redetermination is to be carried out.
Source: http://www.immconsultant.net/judicial-review

If you find yourself in a situation in which you would like to seek judicial review, I would suggest looking for court decisions that are similar in nature to your own case. To do so, review Federal Court of Canada decisions (see http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/index.html which allows you to do searches on similar cases). What I found in my case was that there were only a few attorneys successfully arguing judicial review cases in the area of concern to me (in my case, excessive demand medical inadmissibility.) This is a critical part of the process - there are plenty of attorneys out there, but very few have real experience arguing before the court and meeting with success.

Most judicial review applications are rejected. Only around 20% of applications are granted review. While this sounds discouraging, in fact in my own informal review of applications, most applications are from refused refugee claims - and this means they have already had a hearing (or multiple hearings) before the IRB. However, for an FSW application, Judicial Review is usually the first real independent review of the procedure used and thus they do tend to have a higher rate of being granted - still, my informal review suggests it is less than 50% being granted.

The other thing I have noted is that many applications are never completed. The applicant files their notice of application, the visa office sends the record to the court, the respondent (Justice Canada on behalf of CIC) submits a notice of appearance, and then the applicant never files their application record. These will eventually be dismissed by the court (usually a day or two after the registry sends the case to the Court for determination.) After the applicant files an application record (affidavit and memorandum of law and authorities) Justice Canada will either assent to the judicial review (rare, but it does happen when the Justice Canada folks decide the process was broken) or will file their own affidavit and memorandum of law and authorities in opposition to the application for judicial review. Ten days after the respondent's filing (Justice Canada on behalf of CIC) the applicant submits the "reply" to the Justice Canada arguments.

In many cases, the applicant never submits a reply. In most of those cases, the Court dismisses the application, although I have seen some cases where the Court still granted judicial review.

Eventually the Registry sends the file to the Court for disposition and the waiting begins. MOST applications are granted or rejected within a few weeks. My application took over three months before it was granted. One reason for a potentially longer delay is that the Court is bound by stringent timelines - they must set a hearing date no later than 90 days from the order granting judicial review. In virtually every case I've seen in the docket system, the hearing date is set 90 days from the date of the order. I've been told that this is due to the scheduling requirements of the Courts (limited courtrooms and judge availability). I've not found anything that discusses how the FCC assigns judges to specific cases, although I have a sense (from reviewing cases) that the more complex cases tend to be referred to the more experienced judges.

If your case is granted, the Court issues a scheduling order. This order sets out the timing for the tribunal record (the notes from the visa office explaining their decision), the applicant's and respondent's affidavits, the applicant's and respondent's additional memorandums of law and authorities, the cross-examination of affidavits (and when the transcripts of said cross-examinations must be filed) as well as the actual hearing date and location. It does not mention the judge that will oversee the hearing.

A grant of judicial review indicates the court sees potential merit in the application - that you now have a genuine opportunity to make your case. The attorneys are allowed to submit additional material in support of their positions. If there are other interested parties they may choose to request the right to intervene - this is unusual in general, but tends to happen in cases with Charter challenges or policy issues.

In general, oral arguments seldom make the real difference in a case, although they do give the judge an opportunity to hear each side's perspective. In some cases, such as when it is very clear-cut, the judge may rule from the bench and the parties will know the decision at the end of the hearing. However, in most cases the judge will "reserve judgment" which means the parties must wait for the decision.

The decision, which is always issued in writing, even if the judge announces a decision at the hearing, can be submitted at any point in time after the oral arguments. This can be many months. As an example, IMM-3764-11 (2012 FC 507) was argued on January 12, 2012 and the decision was entered on May 2, 2012. While longer than seems normal, this is not considered to be an unreasonable amount of time.

The attorney's for either side may present one or more questions for certification to the Judge. If a question is certified, it is grounds upon which either party may appeal. If no question is certified, the decision of the Federal Court of Canada is not generally subject to appeal. Questions must be of general interest (e.g., they are not specific to the case, but rather relate to broader policy implications of a decision.)

An example of appeals with which I'm familiar is the relatively recent Sapru decision (2010 FC 240 Date: March 2, 2010 and 2011 FCA 35 Date: February 1, 2011). The Federal Court ruled against Sapru, but certified a question, and Sapru was successful before the Federal Court of Appeals. This is also reasonably representative of the time frames involved: rejection June 11, 2009, FC decision March 2, 2010 (9 months) and then FCA decision 11 months later (February 1, 2011). Mr. Sapru submitted his application on June 27, 2002.

Note: in general, even if you are victorious before the Federal Courts, your CIC application is not granted - it is remanded back to CIC for re-determination. It is not sent back to the same visa officer. In some cases it may not even be sent back to the same visa office.

My own case was filed January 10, 2012, and was completed in early April, with the registry forwarding the file to the Court on April 17, 2012. Judicial review was granted on July 19, 2012 with a hearing date of October 17, 2012 (exactly 90 days later). It invokes both arguments of specific issues in procedural fairness (even going so far as to point to a different decision by the same medical officer reaching opposite conclusions as to what was important, an inconsistency that does not reflect well on CIC,) as well as two charter arguments (one apparently novel, relating to separation of powers, and the other relating to equal protection.) Whether the Court finds any of them persuasive remains to be seen. Thus far Justice Canada has not submitted any materials in opposition to any of the originally cited grounds, instead focusing on my ability to apply in a separate category (in which excessive demand is not an issue).

Reactions: cnkikw

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Q. CAN JUDICIAL REVIEW BE THE LIFE SAVER?
A. U have a 75:25 chance to 'make it'... the 25% is for u.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
qorax said:
Bottomline: It might not be a 'life-saver' for 75% of us.
No one should count on Judicial Review for anything other than a last-ditch effort after a refusal. A positive outcome for an FSW based JR application is still likely well below 25% - perhaps as low as 15%. It's also not something one can realistically do on their own, so it is an expensive option. Still, if there's a clear error in your file and you don't have the option to refile it, it is an option.

It's an expensive, slow process and the most you can hope for if you are successful is that it will be sent back to CIC and someone else will evaluate your file.

eemmoo1

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well others may differ. But my suggestion would be to add few more thousands dollars (if someone can afford) to the fee payable to attorney and get one year skilled trade diploma from Canada. You can then apply for one year work permit and later CEC or PNP case. 8)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
eemmoo1 said:
Well others may differ. But my suggestion would be to add few more thousands dollars (if someone can afford) to the fee payable to attorney and get one year skilled trade diploma from Canada. You can then apply for one year work permit and later CEC or PNP case. 8)
In my personal case, the refusal was excessive demand medical inadmissibility. While I maintain the decision was unreasonable (I demonstrated an employer provided plan and two overlapping insurance policies that would cover 100% of the costs) there is only one category in which this is not grounds for refusing the PR. I do happen to qualify in that category as well (subject to review by CIC of course), but I'd really prefer to earn this on my own and this original decision really was fundamentally wrong (in a previous case the medical officer stated that insurance was required to overcome, in my case the same medical officer said insurance was immaterial).

I do agree - if you have another path to PR, I would take it. In my own personal position, were it not for the fact that I ended up marrying a Canadian (someone I met and started seeing before I even filed my FSW PR application) I'd just move back to the US.

psalmg

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015 Redetermined
Doc's Request.
None
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
27-05-2015 Redone
Interview........
22-09-2015
Passport Req..
Submitted with Docs
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2016
LANDED..........
05-09-2016
I just had a review won and will be sent back for re-determination for study permit, what are my chances please.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
psalmg said:
I just had a review won and will be sent back for re-determination for study permit, what are my chances please.
It depends upon your specific case - there is no general rule for success. Can you provide a citation to your case? If so, we can look at it and might be able to provide some insight.

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
Hello,

I got rejected my PR because of alleged misrepresentation. I retained the services of a lawyer and the filed for judicial review on the case. This was in January. The courts got back to my lawyers in February asking them to withdraw the case and they would reassess my file. My file was later sent to the same VO and I just received PPR.

So the bottom line is that if you are sure that you didn't make any errors in your file and that a refusal was not justified. I would say go for a JD. It cost me $4000 but at least it was successful and the 5 year ban from travelling to Canada was lifted.

Reactions: eduedu and teexzle

Mabertia

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
07-09-2015
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2016
LANDED..........
29-07-2016
Congratulations Aby444, the lord is your strength.

Aby444 said:
Hello,

I got rejected my PR because of alleged misrepresentation. I retained the services of a lawyer and the filed for judicial review on the case. This was in January. The courts got back to my lawyers in February asking them to withdraw the case and they would reassess my file. My file was later sent to the same VO and I just received PPR.

So the bottom line is that if you are sure that you didn't make any errors in your file and that a refusal was not justified. I would say go for a JD. It cost me $4000 but at least it was successful and the 5 year ban from travelling to Canada was lifted.

NewPlan2014

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18th September 2015 at CIO
AOR Received.
18th February 2015
Med's Request
10th March 2015
Med's Done....
17th March 2015
Mabertia said:
Congratulations Aby444, the lord is your strength.
Congratulation ABY 444 for your PPR. Could you provide the name your lawyer ?

rajvir0707

Jun 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 5th 2013
IELTS Request
sent along
Hiii
I have a similar case I also got rejected my PR applicaton. As I was preety sure about the documents I sent after receiving concern letter, so I decided to go for JR and for thst I hired services from BORDERS LAW FIRM..thy handled my case preety well and the case was settled outside the court only....my VISA OFFICE Is NW DELHI the case is reopen few days back I just hope I get visa soon now

psalmg

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015 Redetermined
Doc's Request.
None
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
27-05-2015 Redone
Interview........
22-09-2015
Passport Req..
Submitted with Docs
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2016
LANDED..........
05-09-2016
Hi all, my judicial review was filled and settled out of court .....thanks to God i resubmitted with the help of lawyers 13th of July hoping for the best.
just a sneek "How long do u think it might take" ?

NewPlan2014

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18th September 2015 at CIO
AOR Received.
18th February 2015
Med's Request
10th March 2015
Med's Done....
17th March 2015
psalmg said:
Hi all, my judicial review was filled and settled out of court .....thanks to God i resubmitted with the help of lawyers 13th of July hoping for the best.
just a sneek "How long do u think it might take" ?
Could you provide us details about your case ?
You must win your case