+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can international Students enter Canada by crossing US land border without hotel $2,000 quarantine?

Bluejayscardinals

Star Member
Oct 21, 2020
Thank you very much.
Yes, I will get a negative PCR test results before I leave my country.

I would like to make sure that I DO NOT NEED hotel $2,000 quarantine if I enter Canada from US land border by bus?

I am wondering why other international students won't try this.
Are they okay to pay $2,000 hotel quarantine?
I am not okay so I researched the government web site.
You need a Visa or Esta to land in the US. Keep in mind the US has some restrictions on entering at the moment too.

No one is citing a $2000 hotel bill anymore. On average it seems around the $1000 mark for 3 days including food, transit, tests (there are threads on this on this forum).

Your PCR test needs to be valid when you land/cross into Canada. Depending on your journey time this is something to keep in mind.

Renting a car and delivering to a city that is not the one you rented in usually incurs a surcharge and if you do not have a North American drivers license you will get scrutinized at the border. They are known to search these cars and the luggage extensively. Some car rental companies won't even allow you to cross.

You may save yourself a few hundred but for the time and hassle involved I cannot see how it is worth it.

Reactions: canuck78

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I would suggest make sure to check with car rental as they may not agree for one way out of the country when you dont have a US driving license
Oh yes. That's another thing. You can't rent without International Driver License or US Driver's license. Make sure you double-check.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a Visa or Esta to land in the US. Keep in mind the US has some restrictions on entering at the moment too.

No one is citing a $2000 hotel bill anymore. On average it seems around the $1000 mark for 3 days including food, transit, tests (there are threads on this on this forum).

Your PCR test needs to be valid when you land/cross into Canada. Depending on your journey time this is something to keep in mind.

Renting a car and delivering to a city that is not the one you rented in usually incurs a surcharge and if you do not have a North American drivers license you will get scrutinized at the border. They are known to search these cars and the luggage extensively. Some car rental companies won't even allow you to cross.

You may save yourself a few hundred but for the time and hassle involved I cannot see how it is worth it.
Can't he take a cab or drop off the rental car near Rainbow Bridge and then walk across to Canada on foot?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Can't he take a cab or drop off the rental car near Rainbow Bridge and then walk across to Canada on foot?
Isn't Rainbow Bridge between New York and Ontario? If my understanding is correct, wasn't he/she/they planning to go to Vancouver?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As someone already indicated the the PCR you tested to get in Japan may not longer be valid when you get a the US/Canada border. At the Canada border your PCR must have been taken within 72 hours. In most flights would not be possible and so you'll need to remain in the US while waiting for a new PCR.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
do test in Japan, then land in Seattle and get a taxi or uber up to the border then cross to Canada. show them your covid test which should be no more than 72 hours valid,

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
As someone already indicated the the PCR you tested to get in Japan may not longer be valid when you get a the US/Canada border. At the Canada border your PCR must have been taken within 72 hours. In most flights would not be possible and so you'll need to remain in the US while waiting for a new PCR.
within 3 days he will be fine, as flying time wont be much, he makes it.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
do test in Japan, then land in Seattle and get a taxi or uber up to the border then cross to Canada. show them your covid test which should be no more than 72 hours valid,
That's almost 4 hrs drive. I can imagine the uber or taxi fare is almost $230 minimum. The person could do that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isn't Rainbow Bridge between New York and Ontario? If my understanding is correct, wasn't he/she/they planning to go to Vancouver?
Then he can take domestic flight or drive from ON to BC. Or take cab to Peach Arch or Lynden/Aldergrove from WA.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Then he can take domestic flight or drive from ON to BC. Or take cab to Peach Arch or Lynden/Aldergrove from WA.
That's a long drive from Ontario to B.C and he/she/they can cross the Rainbow bridge then take a domestic flight from Ontario to Vancouver. A cab from Seattle to Peach Arch would be pricey and long. A driver won't want to drive back and forth for 8 hrs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a long drive from Ontario to B.C and he/she/they can cross the Rainbow bridge then take a domestic flight from Ontario to Vancouver. A cab from Seattle to Peach Arch would be pricey and long. A driver won't want to drive back and forth for 8 hrs.
I know it's a long drive, but it is possible. Try it, it's fun.

Bluejayscardinals

Star Member
Oct 21, 2020
People entering the land border still need to quarantine. You can’t just cross and hop on another plane or road trip like it’s the summer of 2019. There are restrictions and quarantine officers calling you. Please be mindful of this.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
why our government makes rules with little sense? As if people entering the country by land boder cant have covid

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
why our government makes rules with little sense? As if people entering the country by land boder cant have covid
I think they may have new rules too. But there are MORE land border crossing compare to the 4 airports.
And they are still fixing issue with the hotel quaratine booking issue and other details to implement the rules.