+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can international Students enter Canada by crossing US land border without hotel $2,000 quarantine?

KennyZ

Feb 23, 2021
Hi,

I am planning to go to Canada next month as a international student.
This is a very first time for me to go to Canada. I already have an approval letter for study permit.

I was checking Canadian official web site about a hotel $2,000 quarantine and I found the following page.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

I checked the following page then it seems I do not need to stay hotel for quarantine.
Is this correct?

Can I really enter Canada by crossing US land border without 3 days hotel staying?

Please advice.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
@KennyZ - As of now this is the rule. You have to get your covid 19 test on the border and then again on 14th day.

As of 11:59 pm ET February 21, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine. The Government of Canada will run 16 testing sites at ports of entry across Canada. Five ports of entry will initially be available with 11 additional as of March 4, 2021. The Government of Canada is also working to supply all other ports of entry with test kits for travellers to take to meet these requirements.

KennyZ

Feb 23, 2021
Thank you very much.
Yes, I will get a negative PCR test results before I leave my country.

I would like to make sure that I DO NOT NEED hotel $2,000 quarantine if I enter Canada from US land border by bus?

I am wondering why other international students won't try this.
Are they okay to pay $2,000 hotel quarantine?
I am not okay so I researched the government web site.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much.

I would like to make sure that I DO NOT NEED hotel $2,000 quarantine if I enter Canada from US land border by bus?

You will end up needing to stay in the US for at least 72 hours getting a new PCR test.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@KennyZ - As of now this is the rule. You have to get your covid 19 test on the border and then again on 14th day.

As of 11:59 pm ET February 21, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine. The Government of Canada will run 16 testing sites at ports of entry across Canada. Five ports of entry will initially be available with 11 additional as of March 4, 2021. The Government of Canada is also working to supply all other ports of entry with test kits for travellers to take to meet these requirements.
You still need the PC test at least 72 hours before you get to the border. Do you have your own car?

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Thank you very much.

There is no bus available between US & Canada currently as border is closed for all non essential travel. You will have to cross via car and for one way travel car rentals will be costly

KennyZ

Feb 23, 2021
You still need the PC test at least 72 hours before you get to the border. Do you have your own car?
Is this 72 hours staying requirement from Canadian government?
I was thinking to fly to Seattle and then get Quick Shuttle BUS from Seattle airport to Vancouver.
I do not have my own car. Do I need a car?
If I cannot use bus to cross the US land border, I may rent a car if I can return it in Vancouver.

KennyZ

Feb 23, 2021
I realized Quick Shuttle is out of service.
But I can rent a car from AVIS at Seattle airport and then can return in Downtown Vancouver.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
I realized Quick Shuttle is out of service.
But I can rent a car from AVIS at Seattle airport and then can return in Downtown Vancouver.
Not sure if your country is visa on arrival in US but i believe you will need a US travel visa to go out of airport.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you very much.

They already answered which is true. No one would want to go through the hassle of obtaining a US Visa plus paying costly one-way car rental especially out of the country.

KennyZ

Feb 23, 2021
Thank you very much!
I am Japanese so I can easily get into US without any special visa.
I will try this way.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Thank you very much!
I am Japanese so I can easily get into US without any special visa.
I will try this way.
I would suggest make sure to check with car rental as they may not agree for one way out of the country when you dont have a US driving license

Reactions: canuck78