+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can INLAND spouse apply for open work permit without a job offer?

fansiyi

May 4, 2016
Hi there,

I'm a family class sponsorship applicant and my husband is Canadian. We live in Toronto and lately I just started the process. We've been married for 2.5 years and been living together for 3 years. I've been on a study permit for almost 4 years but it's about to expire.

I just submitted my PR application to the CPC-Mississauga office last week, but only afterwards I saw that I'm eligible to apply for an open work permit during the long wait. And it says on their webpage that I can submit a work permit application along with my PR application. (See "Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada" - December 11, 2015)

However, I was wondering, can I apply without a job offer? On the work permit application IMM5710, question 3 of "Details of intended work in Canada" asks for a specific work address.

Or should I go job hunting first then apply for the work permit? I'm not really sure how the process works.

Thank you so much in advance guys!!!

P.S.: I also submitted an application to extend my stay as temporary visitor meanwhile

Skykiran

Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
missisuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
13-03-2016
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
If you have submitted Inland Sponsorship,Yes you are eligible for open work permit right away.Its usually better to include ur open work permit application along with your PR application if not you might to wait for AOR.Which probably takes 60 days.

And for a open work permit you dont need any job offer to apply,And I believe if you are not working currently I would just leave that column of employer address as empty and name as empty

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
Skykiran said:
If you have submitted Inland Sponsorship,Yes you are eligible for open work permit right away.Its usually better to include ur open work permit application along with your PR application if not you might to wait for AOR.Which probably takes 60 days.

And for a open work permit you dont need any job offer to apply,And I believe if you are not working currently I would just leave that column of employer address as empty and name as empty
what does AOR mean?

luisluis

Feb 6, 2016
If we apply for the work permit along with the sponsorship application,
how long it usually takes to obtain the permit?

We are in Quebec.
I know it could be different in other provinces, but please share what you know :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
luisluis said:

We are in Quebec.
I know it could be different in other provinces, but please share what you know :)
It takes about 4 months, regardless of where you are.

luisluis

Feb 6, 2016
thank you!

I'm trying to put together the documentation about the work permit with the documentation about the sponsorship and it gets complicated.

For example, the work permit documentation insist on having the LMAI, etc, but that does not apply in this case.

Does any body bas a link on a summary of the inland application along with the open work permit?
That would be very helpful to cases like mine, very common, btw.

luisluis

Feb 6, 2016
For example,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/open.asp

talks about "LMIA exemption code A70 and NOC code 9999".

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/open.asp

Look under: Who Can Be Issued An Open Work Permit

Make sure to pay the full amount which is $255 (includes the often overlooked $100 Permit Holder Fee).

Atomicroxi

Apr 4, 2016
luisluis said:

We are in Quebec.
im wondering, i just got my aor for my husband, we also applied for a owp and we are also in qc. Can my husband work with the owp in QC or do i have to send in the provincial papers now that i received my AOR so that he can get an CSQ to be able to work? do any of you know :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Atomicroxi said:
im wondering, i just got my aor for my husband, we also applied for a owp and we are also in qc. Can my husband work with the owp in QC or do i have to send in the provincial papers now that i received my AOR so that he can get an CSQ to be able to work? do any of you know :(
If he has an OWP, he can work in any province.