+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can indian GSM moblie handsets be used with Canadian sim cards

lovely21

Apr 26, 2012
Hello Friends,

I have a Sony Xperia Mini Pro GSM handset.
Can it be used in Canada with a Canadian sim card.

Harri

Feb 24, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2010
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
Med's Request
24 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
24 March 2012
Interview........
No news
Passport Req..
PPR1 7 Nov 2012, PPR2 3rd Dec 2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
14 Feb 2013, Calgary
Dear Friend,

Although I am not from India and know a little about technical things, but I want to share my own experience. I have a nokia C3 set, what I did was that I goolge searched this hand set in Canadian websites and found out that it is being sold in Canada. My set is not service provider specific
(no lock or unlock issues) and works well on all networks in my country.
With this I guessed that it should work, and I shall be taking this with me on 14 Feb 2013 once I am landing in Calgary AB.
Lets see my guess works out or otherwise.

cocknbull

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lovely21 said:
Hello Friends,

Hi!

your phone needs to be unlocked and

If you are talking about this phone

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_mini_pro-3713.php

then as per this link

http://www.tintedgreen.net/guide-will-my-cell-phone-work-insert-canadian-carrier-here/

your phone should work with three networks in Canada i-e

[size=10pt]Bell, Telus, Rogers[/size]

cocknbull

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Harri said:
Dear Friend,

Although I am not from India and know a little about technical things, but I want to share my own experience. I have a nokia C3 set, what I did was that I goolge searched this hand set in Canadian websites and found out that it is being sold in Canada. My set is not service provider specific
With this I guessed that it should work, and I shall be taking this with me on 14 Feb 2013 once I am landing in Calgary AB.
If you have an unlocked phone and If your phone is this one

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c3-3269.php

http://www.tintedgreen.net/guide-will-my-cell-phone-work-insert-canadian-carrier-here/

then it should work on GSM 850/1900 with only Rogers network. None others..

lovely21

Apr 26, 2012
Harri said:
Dear Friend,

Ok..............U r landing in Calgary ..............Which field r u from?.

I will be in Edmonton by 1st week of March.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
lovely21 said:
Hello Friends,

qorax said:
Hi,

Canada has all the three type of operators, CDMA, AWS & GSM. Viz.:
a) CDMA: Public Mobile
b) AWS: WindMobile & Mobilicity
c) GSM: Bell, Rogers, Telus, Koodo, Fido, Virgin etc. (the list is many 'coz most operators r with GSM)

I hope u r aware of the CDMA & AWS (1700-2100) bandwidth. However, here's below the GSM details of Canada:

qorax said:
Canadian Cellphone Bandwidth

In Canada, GSM-1900 is the primary band used in urban areas with 850 as a backup, and GSM-850 being the primary rural band. Not all phones work in that bandwidth -- but many do as well... that requires us to pre-confirm that the phones we have are compatible with the band of the networks here. Frequency compatibility problems can be avoided thru the use of multi-band (tri-band, or quad-band, especially penta-band[size=12pt]*) phones.

> GSM-850 uses 824–849 MHz to send information from the mobile station to the base station (uplink) and 869–894 MHz for the other direction (downlink). Channel numbers are 128 to 251. GSM-850 is also sometimes called GSM-800 because this frequency range was known as the "800 MHz band" (for simplification) when it was first allocated for AMPS in the United States in 1983. The term Cellular is sometimes used to describe the 850 MHz band, because the original analog cellular mobile communication system was allocated in this spectrum.

> GSM-1900 uses 1,850–1,910 MHz to send information from the mobile station to the base station (uplink) and 1,930–1,990 MHz for the other direction (downlink). Channel numbers are 512 to 810. PCS is the original name in North America for the 1,900 MHz band. It is an initialism for Personal Communications Service.

Phone Finder:
U can check the bandwidth (and other details) of ur phone here: http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

Qorax
*Viz. Nokia-N9, Samsung Galaxy Nexus etc. Here r 31 phones which r made "penta-band" (i.e. will work anywhere in the world).[/size]
Remember though, if u get an 'unlocked' GSM or AWS phone handset, it'd work with the appropriate providers here. No issues there. But a CDMA phone is operator locked and cannot be used anywhere else. For frequent travellers it's wise to have a "Pentaband" cellphone, like I do, b'coz they can be used anywhere in the globe, with any network.

Hope that helped.

Qorax

nm_lytton

Jan 18, 2009
qorax said:
Remember though, if u get an 'unlocked' GSM or AWS phone handset, it'd work with the appropriate providers here. No issues there. But a CDMA phone is operator locked and cannot be used anywhere else. For frequent travellers it's wise to have a "Pentaband" cellphone, like I do, b'coz they can be used anywhere in the globe, with any network.

Hope that helped.

Qorax
Very helpful Info about Cell phone.

amirsrima

Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2013
Doc's Request.
submitted with the application
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
15-08-2014
Med's Request
18-08-2014 (plus RPRF & Update Information Chart, PPR1)
Med's Done....
7-11-2014
Interview........
DM: 11-11-2014
Passport Req..
PPR2 15-11-2014 SUBMITTED: 20-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2015
LANDED..........
June 2015
nm_lytton said:
Very helpful Info about Cell phone.
Hi Guys, Although I am not Indian but I can share my experience.
I have been holding different mobiles from NOKIA, SAMSUNG, HTC etc but not servcie specific from any of the mobile Companies.
I have always travelled internaitonally with my same mobiles and just use to change the SIM as soon as land & never had any issue.
Anyhow, the phones with locks and service specific packages - buddy need to un lock.
I suggest get unlock from India - far easy & cheap ;)

Rajpur

Oct 10, 2014
An earlier topic as per above had Qorax post a very specific reply to the query. In light of the G4 and LTE IMPLEMENTATION by such Cdn companies as Bell, I am wanting to know if I return to Canada with e.g. A Samsung Duos Quad band or a more recent (?) e.g Galaxy S 3 Neo or Grand Neo... All being Quad Band will those Samsung work with a Bell sim Card? I ask this specifically as a Bell Rep in Canada advise me that I would need a 4G or LTE or HSPA+. But NOT a WCAMA or GSM the latter he labelled as 'Bad'. Me'thinks this is just pushing a Bell mobile I should buy from him. Any suggestions? BTW my Airtel Sims have worked with Rogers as Airtel is 'supported' by Rogers. However Rogers does NOT have the large coverage area as Bell..more to large towns and cities whereas Bell is wide ranging. Thanks in advance.