+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work with an off-campus work permit after graduation?

harshab85

Oct 8, 2012
I've graduated from my Masters program at UofT and just applied for a PGWP. I have a off-campus work permit (obtained as part of my course) which is valid until April 2016.

While I wait for the PGWP, can I work in Canada as a full-time employee until April with the off-campus work permit? If yes, what will happen after April, if I still don't get the PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can work full time. You have implied status and can continue working until you receive a decision on your PGWP application.

harshab85

Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for your prompt response. Really appreciate it.

I just want to clarify my last question...
Can I continue working even after the off-campus work permit expires (in April 2016)?

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harshab85 said:
Thanks for your prompt response. Really appreciate it.

I just want to clarify my last question...
Can I continue working even after the off-campus work permit expires (in April 2016)?
Yes you can, as Scylla said "You have implied status and can continue working until you receive a decision on your PGWP application."

sarah_bs

Oct 19, 2015
Hello,
How about if somebody does not have an off-campus work permit? I did not get an off-campus work permit while I was a student. Now, I am waiting for a decision on my PGWP application. My study permit is valid until April 01, 2016. I appreciate if anybody knows whether I can start working or not?

Thanks

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
sarah_bs said:
Hello,
How about if somebody does not have an off-campus work permit? I did not get an off-campus work permit while I was a student. Now, I am waiting for a decision on my PGWP application. My study permit is valid until April 01, 2016. I appreciate if anybody knows whether I can start working or not?

Thanks
You can work off campus after graduation providing that you have applied for a PGWP.
However in order to be employed and getting paid you need a valid SIN number

in order to obtain a SIN number from Service Canada, at least one of the following remarks must be present on your study permit:
-May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
-May work 20 hrs off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
-May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If neither of these remarks are present, you must request an amendment to your study permit in order to get a SIN number

sarah_bs

Oct 19, 2015
ndrs11 said:
You can work off campus after graduation providing that you have applied for a PGWP.
However in order to be employed and getting paid you need a valid SIN number

in order to obtain a SIN number from Service Canada, at least one of the following remarks must be present on your study permit:
-May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
-May work 20 hrs off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
-May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If neither of these remarks are present, you must request an amendment to your study permit in order to get a SIN number
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I already have a SIN number which expires on 01 April 2016. However, neither of those three remarks are present on my study permit. My study permit has been issued on December 2013.