+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i work full time during the gap between two study program

kingof2917

Feb 6, 2020
Hello, I am currently in Canada on a study permit and will be finishing my current program at the end of March 2020. After this, I have enrolled myself for another program that will commence in September 2020.
I have already received a Letter of Acceptance from the college and also applied for a Study permit extension and waiting for the decision to be made on my application.

Question 1:
So, now I came across IRCC law stating that students can work full time for consecutive 150 days or until the start of a new program whichever is earlier.
Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
Date modified: 2019-06-24

I also Copy and paste text here. (Text highlighted in Red color is applicable to me.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT now if I go to another page of IRCC it says only about working for 150 days if the new program starts with a maximum gap of 150 days but nowhere it mentions what a student can do if the new program starts after a gap which is more than 150 days.
Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
Date modified: 2020-01-15

I also Copy and paste text here. (Text highlighted in Red color is applicable to me.)
If you’re starting a new study program
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:

• You were already able to work off campus during your previous studies
  • You have a valid study permit or you applied to extend your study permit before it expired
  • You received written confirmation from your current school that you completed your program
  • You received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a DLI
  • You’ll start your new program within 150 calendar days of receiving the confirmation that you completed your previous program

Now the question is which page is providing correct information whether i can work full time if my program starts after 150 days of gap? Please can someone experienced give confirmation on it?

Question 2:
If I can work 150 consecutive days I am limited to work only 40 hours a week or I can work more than that or do Overtime?

Question 3:
If I can work 150 consecutive days and i am doing technical job fulltime will it be also counted as my Canadian work experience when I give my PR Application?

I really appreciate for giving your time in reading the whole thread.
Thanks in advance.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
About 150 days its pretty clear. For instance you complete your programme by April which it normally does that's the final exam month. So take May to August where you'll have time off from university that's where you can work full time that will cover around 120 days so you are safe. The 150 day gap is usually for those students who finish one course n get that time to reapply for another course with all the visa extension n all. But its pretty clear dont extend your study gap beyond September. That will thn affect your pgwp...

One more doubt is that they stated you require a transcript or certificate of completion before you work full time..you know that would take like a month to come out. So is it possible to work full time straight away after completing your course

Z_ack

Mar 3, 2019
About 150 days its pretty clear. For instance you complete your programme by April which it normally does that's the final exam month. So take May to August where you'll have time off from university that's where you can work full time that will cover around 120 days so you are safe. The 150 day gap is usually for those students who finish one course n get that time to reapply for another course with all the visa extension n all. But its pretty clear dont extend your study gap beyond September. That will thn affect your pgwp...

One more doubt is that they stated you require a transcript or certificate of completion before you work full time..you know that would take like a month to come out. So is it possible to work full time straight away after completing your course
Sorry king2917 for interrupting your thread, its just I'm facing a close case. Now as I highlighted, that the study gap should not be extended beyond 150.
What if it was extended by program deferral from the college itself (Covid-19).

I've written a thread about it and an experienced guy said I should apply for visitor visa, and stay at home without work. Still it will affect my PGWP, will it ?

kingof2917

Feb 6, 2020
Sorry king2917 for interrupting your thread, its just I'm facing a close case. Now as I highlighted, that the study gap should not be extended beyond 150.
What if it was extended by program deferral from the college itself (Covid-19).

I've written a thread about it and an experienced guy said I should apply for visitor visa, and stay at home without work. Still it will affect my PGWP, will it ?
Hi, Based on my research i found that study gap can exceed 150 days. Say for example you have second program starting after 200 days from the date when you attended graduation or received program completion letter from college whichever is earlier of the former program. So from that date you can work full time for consecutive 150 days after that you will need to stop working for balance 50 days.
I think if any delay or extension happens due to covid-19 should not hinder your status or application or any rights cause its uncertain event.

I dont understand why he said you should apply for Tourist Visa. If you have finished your program and have received digital copy of transcript or even a course completion letter from college then you should start working Full time and simultaneously put up your application for PGWP.
Due to COVID nothing is going to affect you can mention the situation about Covid in your SOP.

kingof2917

Feb 6, 2020

I dont know how it will affect your PGWP if study gap extends September please provide link to the specific law wherein the same is mentioned.

Yes, you will need something from your college in order to say that your program is completed. Once you receive it then only you can commence working FT otherwise only PT. You should ask college to send you digital version of transcript or even a letter stating that your program is completed will be sufficient to start working FT.
Please, note i am not a professional adviser on immigration i am just saying though my experience.

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
"If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following:

If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions."

One of my friends is facing the similar issue (postponement of the program by college) and is been asked by IRCC (when consulted) to change his status to visitor visa if he chooses to stay in Canada beyond 150 days. He should later re-apply to get back his student status when he is about to start studies. While college is still trying to figure out the solution, IRCC has NOT confirmed yet about the Work Permit implication due to this issue. Note that students do two different courses and get 2 or 3 years for work permit. Now this gap may create issue for work permit, it may result into 1 year work permit. IRCC has not provided assurance of default 2 or 3 years.

kingof2917

Feb 6, 2020
"If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following:

If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions."

One of my friends is facing the similar issue (postponement of the program by college) and is been asked by IRCC (when consulted) to change his status to visitor visa if he chooses to stay in Canada beyond 150 days. He should later re-apply to get back his student status when he is about to start studies. While college is still trying to figure out the solution, IRCC has NOT confirmed yet about the Work Permit implication due to this issue. Note that students do two different courses and get 2 or 3 years for work permit. Now this gap may create issue for work permit, it may result into 1 year work permit. IRCC has not provided assurance of default 2 or 3 years.
How to convert the status to Visitor? Maybe just apply for tourist visa am i right? In my case i will have extra about 10 days which means i have a gap of total 160 days between two program. 150 days will be fine but the rest 10 days it dont make any sense to leave Canada and then come back in addition to this during this pandemic its even risky to leave Canada and then come back.
In my case i am doing second program which is of 2 years so i am not even worried if they do or don't consider my previous program for pgwp.

Duc Linh

Dec 7, 2023
Hello, I am currently in Canada on a study permit and will be finishing my current program at the end of March 2020. After this, I have enrolled myself for another program that will commence in September 2020.
I have already received a Letter of Acceptance from the college and also applied for a Study permit extension and waiting for the decision to be made on my application.

Question 1:
So, now I came across IRCC law stating that students can work full time for consecutive 150 days or until the start of a new program whichever is earlier.
Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
Date modified: 2019-06-24

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

BUT now if I go to another page of IRCC it says only about working for 150 days if the new program starts with a maximum gap of 150 days but nowhere it mentions what a student can do if the new program starts after a gap which is more than 150 days.
Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
Date modified: 2020-01-15

If you’re starting a new study program
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:

• You were already able to work off campus during your previous studies
  • You have a valid study permit or you applied to extend your study permit before it expired
  • You received written confirmation from your current school that you completed your program
  • You received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a DLI
  • You’ll start your new program within 150 calendar days of receiving the confirmation that you completed your previous program

Now the question is which page is providing correct information whether i can work full time if my program starts after 150 days of gap? Please can someone experienced give confirmation on it?

Question 2:
If I can work 150 consecutive days I am limited to work only 40 hours a week or I can work more than that or do Overtime?

Question 3:
If I can work 150 consecutive days and i am doing technical job fulltime will it be also counted as my Canadian work experience when I give my PR Application?

I really appreciate for giving your time in reading the whole thread.
Thanks in advance.
Hey kingof2917,
Hope you are doing great! I was just googling about this topic and found yours. It was informative since I am kinda in the same boat with your situation back in the day. So I would like to ask about what you did about that:
- Would you be able to work full-time within 150 days while waiting to attend the 2nd program?
Pls, let me know the details. Greatly appreciated!

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Hey kingof2917,
Hope you are doing great! I was just googling about this topic and found yours. It was informative since I am kinda in the same boat with your situation back in the day. So I would like to ask about what you did about that:
- Would you be able to work full-time within 150 days while waiting to attend the 2nd program?
Pls, let me know the details. Greatly appreciated!
If you have the study permit then you can work full time during breaks. For eg: May to Aug when most students have breaks before rejoining studies in Sept.