+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work for a foreign company with Close Work Permit

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
Hello everyone,

I just got a closed work permit at Canada and moved here two months ago.

However, I got some oversea work opportunities and I can work remotely from Canada for some foreign companies. I know I can only work for one company at Canada where my closed work permit was binded, but I am confused if I can do some works for a company outside Canada. I have two questions about this.

1. Can do another job at my free time for a company in another country such U.S. and get some income from them? Of course I will file tax for those oversea incomes, but may I know if it is legal to get these income with a closed work permit?
2. I am going to apply for PR at Canada through EE CEC after I have worked here for a full year. Will those oversea work experience have negative impacts on my PR application? Is it completely legal to do that during the year I worked at Canada?

Thank you so much, appreciate for all inputs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just got a closed work permit at Canada and moved here two months ago.

However, I got some oversea work opportunities and I can work remotely from Canada for some foreign companies. I know I can only work for one company at Canada where my closed work permit was binded, but I am confused if I can do some works for a company outside Canada. I have two questions about this.

1. Can do another job at my free time for a company in another country such U.S. and get some income from them? Of course I will file tax for those oversea incomes, but may I know if it is legal to get these income with a closed work permit?
2. I am going to apply for PR at Canada through EE CEC after I have worked here for a full year. Will those oversea work experience have negative impacts on my PR application? Is it completely legal to do that during the year I worked at Canada?

Thank you so much, appreciate for all inputs.
Does the foreign employer have offices in Canada? Clients or customers in Canada? If no to all these questions how will you be paid? You couldn’t my be paid into your Canadian account if you are on a closed work permit but you would have to verify if you could be paid into your home country account or business you have set up in your home country when not a resident of your home country. You’d need to consultant an accountant. You will have to declare the international income on your Canadian taxes if you are able to work for this employer.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
Does the foreign employer have offices in Canada? Clients or customers in Canada? If no to all these questions how will you be paid? You couldn’t my be paid into your Canadian account if you are on a closed work permit but you would have to verify if you could be paid into your home country account or business you have set up in your home country when not a resident of your home country. You’d need to consultant an accountant. You will have to declare the international income on your Canadian taxes if you are able to work for this employer.
Thanks for the reply.

"You will have to declare the international income on your Canadian taxes if you are able to work for this employer."
Yes. This is what I am worried about, I have to declare this income at Canada.

The company does not have an office at Canada and they will pay me at the country where their office is located such as U.S.. The income will go into my US account.
The thing is even I work for a company who has no connection with Canada, does it have a negative influence for my immigration because of my Closed work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

"You will have to declare the international income on your Canadian taxes if you are able to work for this employer."
Yes. This is what I am worried about, I have to declare this income at Canada.

The company does not have an office at Canada and they will pay me at the country where their office is located such as U.S.. The income will go into my US account.
The thing is even I work for a company who has no connection with Canada, does it have a negative influence for my immigration because of my Closed work permit.
So the company doesn’t have any Canadian clients/customers? No dealings with Canadians at all? If not, no issue with immigration. Declare your income as this is a must.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
So the company doesn’t have any Canadian clients/customers? No dealings with Canadians at all? If not, no issue with immigration. Declare your income as this is a must.
So even Canadian clients/customers counts? My base will be absolutely at US and I may work remotely at US and Canada for that job, but I may not figure out all their clients or if they have a some kind of deal with Canadians.....

Still good to here it is possibly legal to work there at the same time, thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So even Canadian clients/customers counts? My base will be absolutely at US and I may work remotely at US and Canada for that job, but I may not figure out all their clients or if they have a some kind of deal with Canadians.....

As long as there are no Canadian clients, you are okay to work remotely from canada. The company cannot have Canadian offices or clients/customers.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
As long as there are no Canadian clients, you are okay to work remotely from canada. The company cannot have Canadian offices or clients/customers.
Thanks for the reply! So it fine to work for another company if the company is outside canada, and closed work permit can only limit the income inside Canada.
I have another two questions in terms of this.
When it come to the application for PR, should I declare this work experience on EE system, which might overlap current Canada work experience?
Will the officer at IRCC really try to figure if the company have clients at Canada? but I may not be able work at big company such Google, Amazon right.. which absolutely has clients in Canada.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Do you have status in the US or a US work permit? Without one how are you going to get paid into a US account?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply! So it fine to work for another company if the company is outside canada, and closed work permit can only limit the income inside Canada.
I have another two questions in terms of this.
When it come to the application for PR, should I declare this work experience on EE system, which might overlap current Canada work experience?
Will the officer at IRCC really try to figure if the company have clients at Canada? but I may not be able work at big company such Google, Amazon right.. which absolutely has clients in Canada.

Thanks!
Yes you should declare the work because I assume you may declare it on things like a LinkedIn and the income can also be traced back to your employer. In general lying leads to problems.

yuandom

Jun 11, 2023
Yes you should declare the work because I assume you may declare it on things like a LinkedIn and the income can also be traced back to your employer. In general lying leads to problems.
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if showing full work experience is optional or required when applying EE. It will be weird I did two job together, especially one is from closed work permit.

If it is required to report all work experience, I may have to consider if I am gonna do the second job at US; cuz immrigration thing has higher priority.