+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Work During My First Term After Transferring Schools Without Changing Study Permit?

Eshin Wan

Nov 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently transferred from one Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to another. In my first term at my new school, I am required to take prerequisite courses. The school told that students cannot work during this term.

However, my study permit, which was issued for my previous school, allows for part-time employment except for a job in the sex industry. I simply notified IRCC about changing my DLI through "My Account" on their website.

Given this situation, am I allowed to work part-time during my first term? My study permit suggests that I can, but my current school advises against it. It's been almost two months that I haven't earned a penny to support the fast inflated rent and cost of living. I cannot afford a lawyer because I'm in a financial crunch and really need to earn some money.

Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently transferred from one Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to another. In my first term at my new school, I am required to take prerequisite courses. The school told that students cannot work during this term.

However, my study permit, which was issued for my previous school, allows for part-time employment except for a job in the sex industry. I simply notified IRCC about changing my DLI through "My Account" on their website.

Given this situation, am I allowed to work part-time during my first term? My study permit suggests that I can, but my current school advises against it. It's been almost two months that I haven't earned a penny to support the fast inflated rent and cost of living. I cannot afford a lawyer because I'm in a financial crunch and really need to earn some money.

Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
So did you study at the school on your study permit for at least one semester? Your study permit is currently tied to your first school.

Eshin Wan

Nov 23, 2020
So did you study at the school on your study permit for at least one semester? Your study permit is currently tied to your first school.
Yes. I studied there for one term in the summer before switching to my current school this fall. I just informed IRCC by using the "Designated learning institution student transfer" self-service tool on their website.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes. I studied there for one term in the summer before switching to my current school this fall. I just informed IRCC by using the "Designated learning institution student transfer" self-service tool on their website.
Usually if you were doing prerequisite courses, you would not be eligible to work, and that is why your advisors are telling you not to work. Call IRCC and ask. If your study permit conditions haven’t changed then you should be okay but get IRCC confirmation. Has your DLI change been approved?