+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work after my work permit expires if I have gotten an AOR?

gui0506

Mar 31, 2016
Hello, my work permit will expire soon in June, and my ONPNP human capital progress is very slow now, so I may end up with getting nominated and ITA after my work permit expires. In this case, can I apply for a BOWP? If not, is there any way I can work in Canada legally or I have no choice until I fully get a PR status (which may be another 1 year). Thank you guys.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gui0506 said:
Hello, my work permit will expire soon in June, and my ONPNP human capital progress is very slow now, so I may end up with getting nominated and ITA after my work permit expires. In this case, can I apply for a BOWP? If not, is there any way I can work in Canada legally or I have no choice until I fully get a PR status (which may be another 1 year). Thank you guys.
1. No, if you have received your ONPNP, then you can't apply for a work permit based on the PNP, and since you don't have the ONPNP, you can't apply for an BOWP since you haven't submitted an approved EE PR application.
2. So, without the above and the employer hasn't obtained a LMIA, you have to stop working when your work permit expires, and if you wish to remain in Canada, you will have to apply to extend your status as a visitor.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Don't let your WP expires without taking action.

If you didn't get EE AOR, consider to apply for change status to visitor BEFORE WP expires.

Note than Even get AOR doesn't guarantee you'll get BOWP, eligibility have to been passed

Other possible options:
- Check with your current employer chances to apply for LMIA.
- IEC (working holidays or other category), if applicable
- Start to look for other job with LMIA (be aware of the 4 years limit).