+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I withdraw paper application and apply online?

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I sent my paper application and it was delivered on Apr 3. I have not received AOR yet.

Per this page : https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=735 - I have to mail them a form to withdraw my application. If I do this, should I wait for a notification email from IRCC that my application has been withdrawn before applying online?

2) In the above page they mention "If we transferred your application to a local office...". I thought the application gets evaluated simultaneously by the NS office for BG, LPP and by the local office for test, interview, oath. At what stage does the application get 'transferred' to a local office?

Thanks.

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hi all,

I sent my paper application and it was delivered on Apr 3. I have not received AOR yet.

Per this page : https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=735 - I have to mail them a form to withdraw my application. If I do this, should I wait for a notification email from IRCC that my application has been withdrawn before applying online?

2) In the above page they mention "If we transferred your application to a local office...". I thought the application gets evaluated simultaneously by the NS office for BG, LPP and by the local office for test, interview, oath. At what stage does the application get 'transferred' to a local office?

Thanks.
I think from the beginning.... The test invite mail will tell which local office is handling your case.

Any hard reason to change from paper to online a month after applying?

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I think from the beginning.... The test invite mail will tell which local office is handling your case.

Any hard reason to change from paper to online a month after applying?
I haven't even received the AOR yet. Test email can only be expected after that I think. Until then I wouldn't know which local office would handle my application. Most importantly, I won't know for sure if IRCC already sent or when will IRCC send my application to the local office. I don't know what that transferring to local office entails or when it starts. We can only guess these things. There is no transparency about these procedures.

The hard reason is IRCC has been processing online applications faster now. Those who had applied online around the time I did have even got their BG and test completed and am still waiting for AOR.

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
I haven't even received the AOR yet. Test email can only be expected after that I think. Until then I wouldn't know which local office would handle my application. Most importantly, I won't know for sure if IRCC already sent or when will IRCC send my application to the local office. I don't know what that transferring to local office entails or when it starts. We can only guess these things. There is no transparency about these procedures.

The hard reason is IRCC has been processing online applications faster now. Those who had applied online around the time I did have even got their BG and test completed and am still waiting for AOR.
True. The link also had "contact us" link. It's a long shot but perhaps they prioritize withdrawal questions?!

Online definitely seems like moving faster and many get their AOR in a couple weeks. Paper seems to typically take 4-5 weeks.

AOR also does a sanity check of required documents I think. Are you positive all the required and additional documents have been submitted?

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
Hi all,

Thanks.
Mate don't be in a hurry!!! Have patients and stick with your paper application, there's no guarantee that the online application will be any faster than the paper one you submitted. omg! Lot's of people out there still stuck in limbo with 2020 application and it's Via online.

In some cases, I ve seen people on this forum with paper application being processed within 6 months. IRCC system is broken and just inconsistent.

Be patient mate.

Reactions: lr108

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
True. The link also had "contact us" link. It's a long shot but perhaps they prioritize withdrawal questions?!

Online definitely seems like moving faster and many get their AOR in a couple weeks. Paper seems to typically take 4-5 weeks.

AOR also does a sanity check of required documents I think. Are you positive all the required and additional documents have been submitted?
If I withdraw, I would do it using the Contact Us link because I am not sure if my application has been transferred to the local office.

I "think" I have submitted all the forms and docs. But then there is always possibility for human error.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Mate don't be in a hurry!!! Have patients and stick with your paper application, there's no guarantee that the online application will be any faster than the paper one you submitted. omg! Lot's of people out there still stuck in limbo with 2020 application and it's Via online.

In some cases, I ve seen people on this forum with paper application being processed within 6 months. IRCC system is broken and just inconsistent.

Be patient mate.
I think you mean 2021 applicants who applied later that year. There was supposedly a quota for online applicants that year. I think those that are straggling are those that fell through the cracks during that time.

Yes in 2022 paper applications were processed faster. That is clearly not the case in 2023.

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
If I withdraw, I would do it using the Contact Us link because I am not sure if my application has been transferred to the local office.

I "think" I have submitted all the forms and docs. But then there is always possibility for human error.
OK. Then better hope they don't allow foods or beverages in their office! LOL.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
I think you mean 2021 applicants who applied later that year. There was supposedly a quota for online applicants that year. I think those that are straggling are those that fell through the cracks during that time.

Yes in 2022 paper applications were processed faster. That is clearly not the case in 2023.
Mate honestly I think you should be patient with your paper application, IRCC is one inconsistent and unpredictable system.
Lets say If anything you withdraw your application from paper to online and IRCC turn around and make paper application faster again to that of online application, are you gonna have to withdraw your online application and back to paper application again?? This is where patients comes in.
We're dealing with a broken IRCC system, so I'll just advise you stick to your paper application. The processing time for citizenship grant is 24months at the end of the day, totally upto you Mate.

• Haha
Reactions: lr108

canadian787

Oct 2, 2022
I was exactly in the same boat 6 months ago but opposite. I was thinking of withdrawing my online app and applying paper because paper applications were being processed faster at that time. I am glad I didn't. You never know what IRCC will do next month or in 6 months. Paper applications are not being processed slower. Online applications have caught up. They are roughly same now

Reactions: oboyzee

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I was exactly in the same boat 6 months ago but opposite. I was thinking of withdrawing my online app and applying paper because paper applications were being processed faster at that time. I am glad I didn't. You never know what IRCC will do next month or in 6 months. Paper applications are not being processed slower. Online applications have caught up. They are roughly same now
How is it the same when the 2023 March online applicants are getting test invites and getting BG completed when the paper applicants who got AOR around the same as the online ones haven't had any update past the AOR?

• Haha
Reactions: oboyzee

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I assume that if you withdraw now that could take a month to process as they’d also refund your payment. Meanwhile, at this time it seems they are starting to issue AOR for paper applications submitted in April.

Withdrawing now you could delay the process by months.

That’s my $0.02 worth of opinion.

kbi911

Feb 25, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks.
Dont know if this helps or not, but my application was sent on Oct 29, reached to them on Nov 2 and my AOR came in on Dec 26, some actually received in Jan 2023 too. but current status is, test completed, awaiting update on tracker.

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
So considering the recent applications, would you recommend online application or paper application as of now? I will be submitting mine soon.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Dont know if this helps or not, but my application was sent on Oct 29, reached to them on Nov 2 and my AOR came in on Dec 26, some actually received in Jan 2023 too. but current status is, test completed, awaiting update on tracker.
Only test completed? What's the status on LPP and BG for you? I thought paper applications were processed faster in 2022.