+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I wait 6 months before submitting citizenship application.

oxsegun

Feb 22, 2007
Hi,Please I need an advise on this issue. My PR card expired in December 2017.Though I am already qualify for citizenship however I have an exam to write in May and also due to the cost of application,I will like to delay the submission of my application for citizenship till after my exams. Please can someone advise me on this and I hope I will not be breaking any law.
Thanks
Olusegun Oke.

R

rish888

You can live as a PR for the rest of your life if you'd like. Apply for citizenship whenever you feel combatable. There's no law requiring you apply for citizenship as soon as you meet the requirements.

You don't need to renew your PR card, but if you want to travel abroad I'd recommend renewing your PR card.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. You can apply anytime after you qualify. There is absolutely no requirement to become a citizen. It’s a big decision (some countries require to give up your home nationality) and you should take your time and make sure it’s the correct choice for you.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Your PR card is a Travel document. Think of it as you would your national passport. Just because it says it is expired, that doesn't mean you are no longer a citizen of the country.

In the case of Canadian PR, you are a PR as long as you meet the requirements of being in Canada, or being married to and living with a Canadian Citizen while living abroad.

So as long as you don't intend to travel you can wait to apply for Citizenship. If you do intend to travel, you'll likely have to get a PR Travel Document issued by a Canadian Embassy abroad to be able to board a plane (or any other commercial mode of transport) to come back to Canada.