+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I volunteer in Canada when I am holding a visitor visa

Lavenderyyt

Mar 29, 2011
Hi, there

I have applied for inland spouseship permanent resident and I am waiting for the feedback from CIC. I am holding a visitor visa now and I am wondering if I can do any volunteer job in Canada legally. If I am allowed to do so, how can I deal with the work place safety compensation?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lavenderyyt said:
Hi, there

I have applied for inland spouseship permanent resident and I am waiting for the feedback from CIC. I am holding a visitor visa now and I am wondering if I can do any volunteer job in Canada legally. If I am allowed to do so, how can I deal with the work place safety compensation?

Thanks
Yes, if it is a true volunteer position in that no one else doing that job is paid. For example SPCA, Red Cross, etc.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happens in cases of accidents, law suits, who is liable? Lets say I am volunteering in a store in merchandise, I slip and fall and break my leg, who is going to pay for that. Lets say volunteer to run a cash register in a store and there is armed robbery involved, I injure myself ambulance and police are involved, what happens then? This stuff can get very sticky why work as a volunteer when there are so many gray zones

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

newtone said:
What happens in cases of accidents, law suits, who is liable? Lets say I am volunteering in a store in merchandise, I slip and fall and break my leg, who is going to pay for that. Lets say volunteer to run a cash register in a store and there is armed robbery involved, I injure myself ambulance and police are involved, what happens then? This stuff can get very sticky why work as a volunteer when there are so many gray zones
Neither of those are volunteer jobs. They are normally paid jobs.

Peter Rabbit

Star Member
Apr 2, 2011
I do not know if this helps, but when I came to Canada (with a contract for one specific employer – I was not allowed to work for anyone else) I did some volunteer work in a retirement home and at the public library. Also, a friend of mine, from France, was here on a visitor’s visa and was volunteering in a retirement home.
I remember having had to sign a document which was indicating that if I were to get hurt while volunteering, the hospital/public library were not responsible/liable. This volunteer work did count as Canadian experience later, not to mention that I’ve met so many nice people, learned so much, and got good recommendations. Volunteer work opens so many doors and makes our communities a better place!