+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit my home country and USA for vacation after applying for Citizenship.

neo2379

Jan 7, 2014
Hi all,

Question:

1.Can I visit my home country and USA for vacation after applying for canada Citizenship.
2.Do we need to notify CIC about our absense from canada(One month trip To home country or a week vacation to USA) after applying citizenship.

Background:
I applied for citizenship on Jan 2nd. I am planning to take a Month vacation in the month of March or april 2014 to visit my parents back home. so am wondering if i need to notice CIC about my trip and absense from canada.If so will this affect my file processing time?

Advise/clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am novice on this citizenship forum... but let me reply... not to answer you :) but more so to confirm my understanding is not wrong.

if this is not through refugee (I am not offending anyone), I guess visiting home country should not be a problem.

Absence from Canada... well, as I hear the speed of the processing, being optimistic, one month may not make a difference.

now let's hear the experts... they will rectify my conception.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neo2379 said:
Hi all,

Question:

1.Can I visit my home country and USA for vacation after applying for canada Citizenship.
2.Do we need to notify CIC about our absense from canada(One month trip To home country or a week vacation to USA) after applying citizenship.

Background:
I applied for citizenship on Jan 2nd. I am planning to take a Month vacation in the month of March or april 2014 to visit my parents back home. so am wondering if i need to notice CIC about my trip and absense from canada.If so will this affect my file processing time?

Advise/clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
After you apply for citizenship - If you are leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks in a row, then you have to infirm CIC.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
And what happens if you don't?
You could get a test/ oath invite as the case may be - no show for good cause (vacation doesn't count) = file closed!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Msafiri said:
You could get a test/ oath invite as the case may be - no show for good cause (vacation doesn't count) = file closed!
So, you "should" inform CIC, but you don't necessarily "have to"?

Purplesaint

Jan 5, 2014
From my personal case, since you completed the residency requirements, you can travel without informing anyone and no one will ask you. Just keep checking the mail and application status in the cic website . Though I m not an expert

neo2379

Jan 7, 2014
Hello All,

Thank you for sharing your views.

I do know that once we complete the residency requirements,we can travel without informing.(But CIC websites states, we need inform CIC if we are leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks in a row).

Question: CIC just want to keep a track of our history? or each time when there is an update on our file, a delay can be expected to regular processing time?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
neo2379 said:
Hello All,

Thank you for sharing your views.

I do know that once we complete the residency requirements,we can travel without informing.(But CIC websites states, we need inform CIC if we are leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks in a row).

Question: CIC just want to keep a track of our history? or each time when there is an update on our file, a delay can be expected to regular processing time?

The website said you "should" call them if you are leaving for more than two weeks. It doesn't say "must." There is no law that says you must inform them that I am aware of. Of course, it is possible that if you go away, you could miss communication from CIC and suffer the consequences, but this could happen if you travel somewhere in Canada as well.