+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i use my A.K.A name in applying for citizenship?

PUZZLED

Mar 14, 2011
Hello everyone!

Im planning to apply for citizenship and I would like to use my aka name also known as.. In my passport I have the chinese name and other name in english as a.ka. In my PR im using the chinese name and all my documents but now that im applying for citizenship i would like to use my aka name would it be possible? Any one who has this experience or situation before.? I really need some advice. The two names are included in my Passport identity is it enough proof that i can use my AKA name in the application. ? Any reply would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Puzzled

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Better start off with getting the aka name on your provincial ID before submission...if you submit without this CIC will delay your processing while waiting for your ID to be updated!

PUZZLED

Mar 14, 2011
Msafiri said:
Better start off with getting the aka name on your provincial ID before submission...if you submit without this CIC will delay your processing while waiting for your ID to be updated!
Hi thank you for the reply. Any idea where would i start doing this? Im living in MONTREAL QUEBEC. Where should i go to change my provincial ID ? Thank you so much.

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PUZZLED said:
Hello everyone!

Im planning to apply for citizenship and I would like to use my aka name also known as.. In my passport I have the chinese name and other name in english as a.ka. In my PR im using the chinese name and all my documents but now that im applying for citizenship i would like to use my aka name would it be possible? Any one who has this experience or situation before.? I really need some advice. The two names are included in my Passport identity is it enough proof that i can use my AKA name in the application. ? Any reply would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Puzzled
From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp:

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

-a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
-if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names. An official translation in English or French must be included.

kentTO

Star Member
Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't change the name

I had a slight modification in my name and now I got a fingerprint request and still waiting

Change the name after you finish the process, if you like.

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
I agree with kentTO. Don't change your name now. Because it may trigger an RQ when you apply for citizenship, and you don't want that..
Change your name after you get your citizenship.

kentTO

Star Member
Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PUZZLED said:
hello guys! even if the name AKA is also included in my passport it still be a problem? ::)
Use your own head. What would a skeptical officer look for?

Don't be surprised if they send you fingerprint requests to figure out your identity and do a long non-routine background check. Remember, when you get fingerprint request it becomes non-routine.

If you really like to change your name go ahead. But I personally would wait until the whole process is done, and THEN do it like how a regular citizen would do it.

PUZZLED

Mar 14, 2011
kentTO said:
Use your own head. What would a skeptical officer look for?

Don't be surprised if they send you fingerprint requests to figure out your identity and do a long non-routine background check. Remember, when you get fingerprint request it becomes non-routine.

If you really like to change your name go ahead. But I personally would wait until the whole process is done, and THEN do it like how a regular citizen would do it.
Im sorry if i annoyed you.. Iam confused thats why im here in this forum to ask for help and advice and really appreciate it but at least dont be so rude by telling Use my own head.. Thank you for the advice anyway.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Either correct your name on provincial ID prior to citizenship application or change names after oath. Any changes in between application and oath will cause delay...its doesn't matter if your name is on the passport...if its not on the provincial ID there will be a delay!