+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use co-op experience after graduation towards CEC?

rmiglesias

Jul 17, 2016
Hello Guys,

After I finished my studies and I got my post graduated work permit, I was hired as a co-op Junior System Administrator for 8 months, then my title changed to Junior system administrator for another 7 months with the same salary, responsibilities, hours etc. Everything was the same, basically the just removed the co-op word from the contract.

Applying under the CEC:

Can I included this CO-OP contract as part of my Canadian work experience?

If it is valid should I use only one term of 15 months as a Junior System Administrator on my profile? (including an explanation letter afterwards)

or what is the best thing to do in this case?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

djshshajtm

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No.
You cannot be studying in Canada & collect Canadian experience.
It's one or the other and thus, CO-OP experience cannot be used.

rmiglesias

Jul 17, 2016
djshshajtm said:
No.
You cannot be studying in Canada & collect Canadian experience.
It's one or the other and thus, CO-OP experience cannot be used.
Hello djshshajtm,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure if you understand my question. I was not studying when I was doing the co-op term. it all happens after I finished my studies, I even had my post graduation work permit at that time.

djshshajtm

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can only count work experience after you've got your PGWP.
Job title does not matter.

You are confusing me because you said CO-OP term, which I understood it as you were still in school.
Maybe you meant Intern?

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
Applicants must have 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months preceding the date on which their application is received.

CIC do not mention whether it should be an internship or contract or co-op. It should be 30 hours of paid work in NOC O,A & B every week.

Your employer should not have hired you in a "co-op" position. (It is not the same as an internship, which is OK and quite normal after graduation).
Co-op positions are specifically for students registered in a co-op program, the employer gets tax credits for doing that, and the "hire" is not the same as a competitive hire.

The violation is your employer's, not sure if it is a "serious" one, but it could blow back on you. Or it could be accepted. A lot depends on what is in the Letter of reference, your other supporting documents, etc., and the VO. So all I can say is - if you are willing to take the chance while knowing there's a possibility it will be rejected, by all means, give it a shot.

rmiglesias

Jul 17, 2016
softfuel12 said:
Applicants must have 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months preceding the date on which their application is received.

CIC do not mention whether it should be an internship or contract or co-op. It should be 30 hours of paid work in NOC O,A & B every week.
Thank you for the info.

I am not sure why they did that, my guess is that the budget that they have was for a co-op position and they could not change the title until the next budget came in, which was a month before they renew my title.

So, yeah not really sure what to do. if I use and it gets rejected. Can I just apply again without it? or do I get a penalty time or something like that?

djshshajtm

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Either write a strong letter of explanation that you weren't attending school when you were doing CO-OP.
Or don't use that at all.

Choice is yours.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you completed your studies, it's still a co-op position and you shouldn't use it. Just wait a couple of months longer for a valid 12 months of experience.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
if the coop was part of degree completion requirement then it cannot be counted towards CEC.. if it is post graduation then it can be counted towards CEC as long as it is paid.. i also did internship after graduation and got PR. the coop experience after the confirmation of graduation can be counted towards CEC experience i believe

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
mesumrizvi said:
if the coop was part of degree completion requirement then it cannot be counted towards CEC.. if it is post graduation then it can be counted towards CEC as long as it is paid.. i also did internship after graduation and got PR. the coop experience after the confirmation of graduation can be counted towards CEC experience i believe
The Internship is an employment type that you can do before, during or after your educational program. However, Co-op type of employment is specifically designed for students enrolled in an educational program.

Here, the employer is illegally trying to save taxes.

rmiglesias

Jul 17, 2016
softfuel12 said:
The Internship is an employment type that you can do before, during or after your educational program. However, Co-op type of employment is specifically designed for students enrolled in an educational program.

Here, the employer is illegally trying to save taxes.
That is what i thought. so not sure if I should go ahead or not, since it might bring some problems to the company and they will blame on me some how ??? ???

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
rmiglesias said:
That is what i thought. so not sure if I should go ahead or not, since it might bring some problems to the company and they will blame on me some how ??? ???
I wouldn't be too concerned about the problem this situation may bring to your company. If they are ready to give you a signed reference letter then they know what they are in for. I would worry more about myself as this can put my PR application in jeopardy.