+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel within Canada with expired pr card?

Selena1999

Nov 13, 2019
So all my IDs are pretty much expired. It was a long story. But I’m just wondering if I could travel within Canada if I showed my expired PR card, expired passport, valid student I’d, a credit card and a letter from the government saying my application for citizenship is in progress. Does anybody have any idea?? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So all my IDs are pretty much expired. It was a long story. But I’m just wondering if I could travel within Canada if I showed my expired PR card, expired passport, valid student I’d, a credit card and a letter from the government saying my application for citizenship is in progress. Does anybody have any idea?? Thanks
Short answer is no.

You must have a valid government issued ID to fly domestically. So an expired PR card will not be accepted - neither will your expired passport. A credit card isn't a form of government ID - the letter stating your citizenship application is in progress won't work either. You need to either renew your passport or your PR card if you want to fly domestically - or obtain some other form of valid government ID.

Accepted documents are listed here:

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/cntr-trrrsm/pssngr-prtct/dcmnts-en.aspx

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
COPR with photo and DOB is acceptable according to the link above.
Technically once a COPR has been processed by CBSA would that still be considered a valid document for an airline given for the OP the COPR validity is well passed ? The key being ID must not be expired so will be how check in interpret that in using a COPR. For sure no use at all if this were international travel.

Maybe check directly with the airline given they are the ones that have final say.

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Technically once a COPR has been processed by CBSA would that still be considered a valid document for an airline given for the OP the COPR validity is well passed ? The key being ID must not be expired so will be how check in interpret that in using a COPR. For sure no use at all if this were international travel.

Maybe check directly with the airline given they are the ones that have final say.
This is for showing to airport security, not CBSA. But yes, they may object on the validity/expiry date.