+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Travel to The USA with my Canadian student Visa ?

cartonkay

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
I have a Canadian student visa but I have most of my friends and family in the United States and I like to visit them during holidays.
do I need to apply for an American visa or is it possible for me to travel to the US on my student visa ?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
cartonkay said:
I have a Canadian student visa but I have most of my friends and family in the United States and I like to visit them during holidays.
do I need to apply for an American visa or is it possible for me to travel to the US on my student visa ?
you need to apply for american tourist visa. You cannot enter USA with a Canadian Visa

cartonkay

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
thank you for your kind response, but I like to ask further if I need to provide a bank statement or any form of sponsorship documentation to get an American tourist visa just like I did for Canada ?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
cartonkay said:
thank you for your kind response, but I like to ask further if I need to provide a bank statement or any form of sponsorship documentation to get an American tourist visa just like I did for Canada ?
No you dont. You just need to show them proof that you will be staying with your friends or relatives. Like their address and all. Then you should be fine.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
cartonkay said:
one last question, can I work when I visit the USA with my tourist visa ;D ?
lol no u cant work on tourist visa ......u will be illegal
for further details check this link
keep in mind US visa is the most difficult visa
https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Greetings!

Well as you are an International student in Canada and assuming not from visa exempt countries, yes you need to apply for a US visa to enter states. Secondly, I am assuming you are already in Canada and studying already. Ideally, people apply for US visa after completion of their at least first semester. Assuming you have completed your first semester, you need to submit transcripts of first semester, enrollment confirmation of second semester (to show you have paid second semester fee) and bank statement. No other docs are required.

Out of personal experiences, I would suggest once you visit US Embassy for Interview in Toronto, do not share the facts you are going to meet your relatives or friends and wana stay their for some time. Simply say you are going to just visit some nice places and yes be well prepared. Like you should know where you would go, where you would stay, for how long you will stay, what all places you will check out.

International students usually get 3 months entry to US (though the all visas are of 10 years, but don't get confused by this as at POE, you will be given not more than 3 months permit to stay as TRV).

You must not work while on Tourist Visa because if you are caught and deported, Canadian Border Services may (most likely will) take you for a ride.

cheers!

Reactions: hussain-lala

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
I think it is alright to tell that he is visiting his relatives. That way he will not have to show too much money in his bank account as the relatives would be providing for him. I am telling this from personal experience. So its not harmful to tell that your relatives live in USA

Reactions: Cute-pecky

navkaur

Jul 9, 2011
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Med's Request
Pre-medical
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2017
mead said:
lol no u cant work on tourist visa ......u will be illegal
for further details check this link
keep in mind US visa is the most difficult visa
https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
I think it's not provided all accurate docs.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
sabby2612 said:
last month a friend had a very funny interview, anyway the reason i am sharing this is because the moment he said he will visit his uncle, he got rejected, no further questions asked. and for students, they need not show huge balances in their account. Even just 1000 to 2000 CAD is good enough to get the visa.

Rest, choice is always ours to make.

Cheers!
Yes I understand your point completely. I guess it just depends on the mood of the officer at the time. People have different stories everywhere. All have different experiences.

@Cartonkay- its completely your choice what you want to tell them. Just during the interview, act very casual and natural and not as if you are guilty of something. If you look and sound casual and confident, then they wont say anything I am sure. And the best policy is not to lie because some people cannot lie and it shows on their face. Tell the truth and accept whatever happens.

Reactions: Silva 110

theoptimist

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Harare
Visa Office......
Harare / Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
15 AUGUST :D
sabby2612 said:
last month a friend had a very funny interview, anyway the reason i am sharing this is because the moment he said he will visit his uncle, he got rejected, no further questions asked. and for students, they need not show huge balances in their account. Even just 1000 to 2000 CAD is good enough to get the visa.

Rest, choice is always ours to make.

Cheers!
I don't mean to be rude but I think you are misleading people a bit..or rather, I think that your friend only told you his version of the "truth" and that he didn't tell you what really happened in that interview. Mentioning that you are visiting family should definitely not be a problem unless he implied something else in his interview which infact was the real reason for his rejection. Lets not forget visa officers are not really the big bad people some people make them to be. If your stuff is in order..as in good bank account for a student, good grades, letter of enrollmenet etc, then why one earth would mentioning visiting ones family be a problem unless maybe that family was in the US illegaly or the person being interviewed was being shady.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
theoptimist said:
I don't mean to be rude but I think you are misleading people a bit..or rather, I think that your friend only told you his version of the "truth" and that he didn't tell you what really happened in that interview. Mentioning that you are visiting family should definitely not be a problem unless he implied something else in his interview which infact was the real reason for his rejection. Lets not forget visa officers are not really the big bad people some people make them to be. If your stuff is in order..as in good bank account for a student, good grades, letter of enrollmenet etc, then why one earth would mentioning visiting ones family be a problem unless maybe that family was in the US illegaly or the person being interviewed was being shady.
Yes just what I was meaning to convey. It depends om different people also. So its better to tell the truth as I mentioned in my comment above.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
sabby2612 said:
@ theoptimist and @ shrad,

Well I am in the business of Immigration for the past 5 years and have an office in New Delhi and I am working from Canada, Toronto. Well could be I am wrong, and I didn't mean to mislead any, I have shared my thought process, I guess you didn't read my posts, I said at the end, Choice is always yours.

Now, talking about not me, but what other immigration consultancies may suggest you is what exactly I said (unless the relative is your immediate blood relative - like real brother, sister, or your father or mother, that's it, now these days embassies are skeptical for grandparents either being sponsored or sponsoring someone).

I am not doubting your knowledge or your expertise in this domain, this forum is open for all, and open to share your ideas, isn't it?

and I am assuming you do not participate in other forums, anyway just for your info, read the following link it's from another immigration help website where they suggest not to disclose the relatives details unless asked for;

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/visitors-visa-interview-sample-questions-answers.html

If one doesn't like the idea, can skip it and opt for someone's else. There are cases where I had no knowledge and refereed the user to Immigration Lawyer.

At the end, no offence to anyone. wish you all the very best of luck.

Cheers!
Hey I did not refute your point :D I agreed to both you and theooptimist. I just said that different people have different experiences. But I would definitely say that a person should not lie about their intentions thats all.

ricky.kaushal

Jul 8, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014, Spouse added March 8, 2015
Doc's Request.
RPRF and PCC - Aug 12, 2014 Wife's Doc - April 22.2015
Nomination.....
19-03-2014
AOR Received.
01-05-2014
File Transfer...
In process & DM July 30th, 2015
Med's Request
01-05-2014 Wife's June 10, 2015
Med's Done....
03-05-2014 Wife's June 11, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 30th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sept 10, 2015
shradzsaraf said:
Hey I did not refute your point :D I agreed to both you and theooptimist. I just said that different people have different experiences. But I would definitely say that a person should not lie about their intentions thats all.
I agree with you both but the problem is how you communicate with visa officer. I got US visitor visa by stating that i am visiting my brother(Who is American Citizen) and will visit him frequently in future as i don't have anybody here in Canada. He lives in Seattle and i am from Vancouver merely 2.5 hrs drive. On the other hand my friend got visa by stating that he is visiting his friend in california. It all depends on your communication to Visa officer.

Thanks,
Ricky