+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I travel to canada while applying study permit

dongyu

May 23, 2018
Hi all,

I have a visitor visa, and have got accetped by a college. Can I still travel to canada while applying a study permit? Will my visitor's visa still be valid when I send in all my applications? I am currently in the US.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Assume you mean you have a TRV then no reason why not even with a study permit in process as your TRV does not get cancelled due to a study permit application, only if were a PR application and only then once landed. As a visitor you will be asked about your visit intentions and how long you plan to stay so whether you are allowed in and for how long will be up to CBSA same as any other visitor. Maybe best to not volunteer you have applied for a study permit not that should make a lot of difference.

Also in any case as you are not a visa exempt you would still need a valid TRV should you ever want to travel outside of Canada to come back in even with a study permit. With the exception of travelling to the US if you have a valid US visa and a valid study permit you do not need a TRV but still best to keep one valid for any other travel outside Canada

Last edited: