+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside of Canada while waiting for my pr card if I have a valid visa and PGWP?

Mar 10, 2024
Hi,

I was wondering if there would be a problem with me traveling outside of canada If Im still waiting for my card, It was a approved a couple of months ago but still haven't received the card. I had this trip planned for months and I still have my visa valid and a valid PGWP.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering if there would be a problem with me traveling outside of canada If Im still waiting for my card, It was a approved a couple of months ago but still haven't received the card. I had this trip planned for months and I still have my visa valid and a valid PGWP.
Do you have the eCOPR? If so:

You can definitely return via land border (if you have US entry ability).

You should assume your existing visa was cancelled. It might not have been, but after a few months I would guess the cahnces of that are quite low. So your existing visa will probably not get you on the plane back.

If you need to return by air, you will need to apply for PRTD (or if your PR card arrives, have it sent to you). Can't tell you how long PRTD might take, varies quite a bit by circumstance and processing office.

Last edited:

Pm838

Sep 18, 2022
Jamaica
Category........
VISIT
have a question for anyone that can answer.
I submitted application for PR card renewal February 22nd and PR Portal shows submitted. When I check GC Key and search with UCI and family name it links my old PR card from 2019 application and lists the card as invalid however it expires May 19 2024. It also lists that last update was March 7th 2024 so my question is how do I get my application number and does it mean that they started processing my application because status of old card is now switched to invalid?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I submitted application for PR card renewal February 22nd and PR Portal shows submitted. When I check GC Key and search with UCI and family name it links my old PR card from 2019 application and lists the card as invalid however it expires May 19 2024. It also lists that last update was March 7th 2024 so my question is how do I get my application number and does it mean that they started processing my application because status of old card is now switched to invalid?
I'm guessing bit it might well mean that it's approved and being mailed to you. I'd give it a few weeks and see if it turns up in your mailbox

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This had nothing to do with this tread. Might consider posting this in the Permanent Residency Obligations forum