+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Travel on Indian Passport after Oath Ceremony

Ninjashadow

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Hello,

Im pretty sure I have read a similar situation thread long ago. Can some please help me thread or answer to this question.

I will be doing my Oath on 4 June and planning to fly on 9 June. Can I use my Indian passport to enter and exit india for 2 weeks

Reactions: nov1061

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello,

Im pretty sure I have read a similar situation thread long ago. Can some please help me thread or answer to this question.

I will be doing my Oath on 4 June and planning to fly on 9 June. Can I use my Indian passport to enter and exit india for 2 weeks
Yes, it is legal to fly on an Indian passport if you have been unable to get the Canadian passport in time. You have three months from the date of naturalization to get the Canadian passport.

Source: https://blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel

nskca

Feb 6, 2020
I got my Canadian Passport. And I applied for passport Surrender and OCI recently. In case of emergency, before I get my cancelled Indian Passport, Can I travel to India using my Canadian Passport without having Indian passport handy?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I got my Canadian Passport. And I applied for passport Surrender and OCI recently. In case of emergency, before I get my cancelled Indian Passport, Can I travel to India using my Canadian Passport without having Indian passport handy?
Yes you can. However, you can't travel to India on a Canadian passport without a visa.

Canadians need a visa to travel to Canada. In this case, you might want to apply for an emergency visa so that you can visit India. But there might be one caveat there - you might have to submit the surrendered Indian passport if you want to get a visa. I think this is the procedure for any Indian visa for persons who were previously Indian citizens.

nehemiahEE

Jun 2, 2015
Yes, it is legal to fly on an Indian passport if you have been unable to get the Canadian passport in time. You have three months from the date of naturalization to get the Canadian passport.

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel
I am studying in the US, can I enter Canada to do my Oath ceremony and travel back to the USA with my Indian Passport ? is the 3 month rule applicable for travel to any country or only to India ?

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018

what happens when we return to Canada? PR card is cut into 4 pieces, what document to use for entering in Canada?