+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I TRANSFER MY UNIVERSITY?

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
Hi,
My study permit is approved and passport is now sent to IRCC for stamping.
I have received offer of admission from another University for Fall2021 term and I feel that best suits me.
Should I re-lodge my application or is there a possibility to continue with the approved study permit?

Please advise.

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
No. You will have to apply for a new study permit.
Thank-you for responding. Are you sure about it? Because, please see these images from official website which says there is an option of DLI transfer that we can do it ourselves to notify IRCC.

"
Post-secondary students changing schools
If you change post-secondary schools, the school you plan to change to must also be a DLI. Please check the DLI list and confirm your new school is a DLI before you commit to changing schools.

You must tell us each time you change post-secondary schools. Changing the post-secondary school on your account is a free service.

You don’t need to apply to change your study permit if you are changing schools.

Post-secondary studies include:

• university
  • community college, CEGEP, institute
  • private university, career college, academy, school or training institution and
  • ESL/FSL and other language training
"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Last edited:

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Yes I am sure, The one you posted is old (dated 2018). New policy started last year to prevent international students to change DLI as soon as their study permit gets approved. Do a tiny research, there are already a lot of threads about this problem.

Here is the link to the latest policy on changing school : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Here an example from people dealing with the same situation : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dli-change.735259/

Reactions: Naturgrl

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
Yes I am sure, The one you posted is old (dated 2018). New policy started last year to prevent international students to change DLI as soon as their study permit gets approved. Do a tiny research, there are already a lot of threads about this problem.

Here is the link to the latest policy on changing school : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Here an example from people dealing with the same situation : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dli-change.735259/
Even the first link that you have posted also says we can transfer. I will also research further

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need a new study permit if you want to change DLI before starting your program. IRCC recently changed the rules. If you don't want to apply for a new study permit, you need to be "actively studying" with your current program before you can change DLIs. So you need to complete at least a semester or year and then transfer to the new DLI.

As per the link, you can transfer if

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Just don't ruin your chance to get PGWP or even PR because it "seems" like you can change school without a new study permit. Research will help, for sure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I know.
That is why I am here seeking help and not to prove my point.
So read the requirements. You need to be "actively studying" in the program that is stated in your study permit. Once you have actively studied in Canada for a semester or a year, then you can change DLIs. If you don't want to do this then apply for a new study permit.

Reactions: RAGHAVK

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Long story short, you have 2 options :
1) Study at the current school for a semester or a year and then change to the school you prefer. You won't need a new study permit in this case.
2) Apply for a new study permit if you want to start with the school you prefer right after you land in Canada.

Reactions: RAGHAVK

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
If in case the new study permit application that I file gets rejected, will I be able to make use of the existing approved one?

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
The response I got from IRCC is below. I hope it may help people.

"
Dear client,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that if you’re a student outside Canada, you may request to change your DLI prior to entering Canada if your visa has not yet been approved by IRCC. If you change your DLI after submitting your study permit and your application is still in progress, you must submit/upload a new letter of acceptance. If your visa has already been approved, you must submit a new application and pay the appropriate fees online

If you lodge a new application, your previous application will be closed and approval decision will be rescinded.

We trust you will find above information of assistance.

Please continue to follow us on social media for regular updates. Click on our Twitter/Facebook/YouTube links below.

Client Service Unit

Migration section

Consulate General of Canada
"

Modromodro

Sep 16, 2021
You need a new study permit if you want to change DLI before starting your program. IRCC recently changed the rules. If you don't want to apply for a new study permit, you need to be "actively studying" with your current program before you can change DLIs. So you need to complete at least a semester or year and then transfer to the new DLI.

As per the link, you can transfer if

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

Good day please does online participation count as actively studying. In and out of Canada?

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
Good day please does online participation count as actively studying. In and out of Canada?
If your program is offering courses online with lectures and assignments delivered remotely and you are enrolled with a full course credit load then you are studying. In addition, under current circumstances the time that you spend studying remotely from outside Canada is also counted towards your PGWP eligibility