+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I surrender my Indian citizenship before applying for a Canadian passport?

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
The BLS website mentions that I can attach a declaration with my application stating the reasons for not having a Canadian passport. I am planning to surrender mine as soon as I get my Canadian Citizenship certificate. Has anyone successfully surrendered their Indian citizenship without a Canadian passport? If yes, can you please share the format or working for that declaration?

Reactions: Miracle2018

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
The BLS website mentions that I can attach a declaration with my application stating the reasons for not having a Canadian passport. I am planning to surrender mine as soon as I get my Canadian Citizenship certificate. Has anyone successfully surrendered their Indian citizenship without a Canadian passport? If yes, can you please share the format or working for that declaration?
I suppose this can be done. You just need to provide a letter stating that you haven't for a Canadian passport yet but you are surrendering your Canadian citizenship now.

If you want confirmation about this, check with BLS. Generally, people submit for surrender + OCI or surrender + Indian Visa together after getting their Canadian passport. Submitting a surrender application without a Canadian passport has not been a very common trend here on the forum at least.

Check the OCI tread as well.

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
I suppose this can be done. You just need to provide a letter stating that you haven't for a Canadian passport yet but you are surrendering your Canadian citizenship now.

If you want confirmation about this, check with BLS. Generally, people submit for surrender + OCI or surrender + Indian Visa together after getting their Canadian passport. Submitting a surrender application without a Canadian passport has not been a very common trend here on the forum at least.

Check the OCI tread as well.
Can you apply for OCI and surrender at once? I thought that you need to surrender your Indian citizenship first, and then proceed with the OCI process.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Can you apply for OCI and surrender at once? I thought that you need to surrender your Indian citizenship first, and then proceed with the OCI process.
Yes, at BLS Brampton, you can apply for both together. Many people (myself included) did that. However, @vishalv mentioned that he tried to do the same thing with BLS Toronto and they did not let him. So, I wouldn't recommend anyone going to BLS Toronto. Another reason not to go there is because there have been reports that BLS Toronto has been asking for the original citizenship certificate / COPR even when applying in-person and they would mail it back at a later time. BLS Brampton doesn't do this either.

So, apply for both together at BLS Brampton once you receive your Canadian passport.

Last edited:
Reactions: abbas.pasha