+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I submit my work permit application to USA? (not a Citizen there)

deancloud

Jun 28, 2012
So here's the thing. I am currently in Canada with a V-1 (Visitor) Visa. I got a job offer as a Live-In Caregiver and I already know the requirements to apply for a work permit. THE THING IS, some websites say that I should apply for a work permit in my home country (Philippines) and some websites say that I can do it somewhere else. So, question is, is it possible for me to submit my work permit application to any of the Canadian Visa Office in the UNITED STATES and have it processed there? I HAVE a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa for both the United States (So I AM NOT a US citizen) and Canada (if that should help). It would be too troublesome if I have to travel all the way back to the Philippines then come back here in Canada. It would be much easier if I can just submit my work permit application to the US as it is closer.

Hope anyone can help me with this one.

Thanks!

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
We just finished helping a Philippina national who was already working here in Canada (with a valid visa and work permit for Canada) apply for the Live-in Caregiver Program. Basically, I think yes, you can apply to the U.S. visa offices. It helps a lot that you have a visa for the U.S., in case you are called to a U.S. embassy for an interview.

So we applied to Buffalo after I got the LMO. Then her application was approved. Then she had to travel to the nearest land border crossing with the U.S., and "flagpole" to get the work permit.

The entire process, including all time taken to get the LMO, etc. took about 7 months.

I understand the application process takes much longer if you apply to the Manila embassy.

So if you are fully qualified and eligible for the LCP, I think it is worth trying to apply through a U.S. embassy.

Oh, and they recently announced that the Buffalo embassy was closing, and that changes were going to be made to how work permits, etc. got processed for people who were already legally in Canada. So the process I described above might be about to change, or maybe even already changed (we got the application approved in May). So watch for that and maybe find out about that too.

Hope that helps!