+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still live in the US but have Canadian PR for work purposes?

dogdragon

Apr 26, 2021
Hi!

I am a dual citizen of Australia & USA. I did a Working Holiday Program to Canada in 2010-2011 and loved it. Currently weighing my options for the future and if possible, potential to work in Canada, again.

I've looked into CRS & other express entry things, and it appears there is a potential I could get PR. But, my question is more about the requirements of upholding the PR.

Without the long boring details, my situation is that I would still be living just across the border on the US side, but would be wanting to work in Canada. If I received PR allowing me to legally work, would the daily border crossing/residence still being in the US be "allowed"?

Or, aside from PR, is there a work permit that may be better suited for this type of situation? I do not have a job offer, and would need an open work permit - not linked to one company. Which is why PR seems ideal, but I am unsure of how still residing in the US and coming in to Canada daily to work would be looked at.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am a dual citizen of Australia & USA. I did a Working Holiday Program to Canada in 2010-2011 and loved it. Currently weighing my options for the future and if possible, potential to work in Canada, again.

I've looked into CRS & other express entry things, and it appears there is a potential I could get PR. But, my question is more about the requirements of upholding the PR.

Without the long boring details, my situation is that I would still be living just across the border on the US side, but would be wanting to work in Canada. If I received PR allowing me to legally work, would the daily border crossing/residence still being in the US be "allowed"?

Or, aside from PR, is there a work permit that may be better suited for this type of situation? I do not have a job offer, and would need an open work permit - not linked to one company. Which is why PR seems ideal, but I am unsure of how still residing in the US and coming in to Canada daily to work would be looked at.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!
To keep PR status you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. I know commutes the other way work (i.e. living in Canada and then traveling to the US for work daily). However I'm not sure about the other way around. My guess is that you might run into issues since coming to Canada during the day but not spending night here may not be seen as living here to fulfill the residency requirement. Might be best to check with a good Canadian immigration lawyer before you go through the trouble of getting PR.

FYI - FSW draws under Express Entry are on hold now and haven't happened yet this year. You'll want to score 470+ to have some chance of being selected.

Open work permits are only issued in specific circumstances so not sure that will be an option for you. .