+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start a private sponsorship if someone's refugee claim was denied

janneh333

Feb 9, 2016
I'm hoping someone can help and/or point me in the right direction.

My student and her family is facing deportation to Colombia in a few days, unless the judge decides to give them a stay as they are now trying to get status on humanitarian grounds since their original claim was denied. Is it possible to privately/community sponsor this family or is that off the table once their refugee status is denied? Is there anything I can do as a Canadian citizen to help this family stay here or immigrate here after they have been returned home?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Wish I knew the answer but I am not sure. Best would be to ask a lawyer or one of free consultant offices in your city.

But, I don't think the sponsorship works for the cases they are in Canada specially as their refugee status was not recognised which means Canada did not accept them as refugees.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please see the following:

You cannot apply for H&C if you had a negative decision from the IRB within the last 12 months
You cannot apply for H&C if you have a pending refugee claim

Since there is little information on their case and situation, I strongly suggest contacting a good immigration lawyer for better advice.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/inside/h-and-c.asp