+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my husband who is on Study Permit while I hold PR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ohh no I wasn't expecting it. But since it is required so will go for it!

I check the Minimum Income Requirements to sponsor is below:

"Size of Family UnitMinimum necessary income
1 person (the sponsor) $26,426
2 persons$32,898
3 persons$40,444
4 persons$49,106
5 persons$55,694
6 persons$62,814
7 persons$69,934
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add$7,120""

I guess I need to have $32898 as my annual income. But for the last year, due to covid, My income was around $28K,
However, since I had a increment in my wage, my annual income for this year is gonna be around $33K.

Would IRCC consider my income as 28K
There is no exact amount but you must be able to show that you will be able to support yourselves without government help to be approved to sponsor.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Then there is another form then where you have to show proof of your income, savings, etc. I don’t know the number off the top of my head.
That may be true for other types of sponsorship (ie not spousal) - don't know.

For spousal, there is no specific form on financials apart from the IMM1283 (which specifically and explicitly only applies to cases where the principal applicant has dependent children who have dependent children). There is a requirement to provide either employment proof / tax assessment info (for those working in Canada), or 'other documentation' (for those not working in Canada) - but no specific forms for sponsor/PA.

(Caveat, unless I've missed something)

Reactions: kaur1172

kaur1172

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
That may be true for other types of sponsorship (ie not spousal) - don't know.

For spousal, there is no specific form on financials apart from the IMM1283 (which specifically and explicitly only applies to cases where the principal applicant has dependent children who have dependent children). There is a requirement to provide either employment proof / tax assessment info (for those working in Canada), or 'other documentation' (for those not working in Canada) - but no specific forms for sponsor/PA.

(Caveat, unless I've missed something)

In the checklist, it shows I can provide reference letter from my job showing wages/salary etc. I think if this is enough

kaur1172

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Don't believe that's correct. Form 1283 only if dependents (who have their own dependents).
Then there is another form than where you have to show proof of your income, savings, etc. I don’t know the number off the top of my head.
[/QUOTE]
I think a "Job letter" would be able to fulfill that requirement. or NOA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I understand this is a really old forum but I need urgent help.
My spouse’s came to Canada on a study permit, after graduating got his work permit for three years. He misread the expiry date on the work permit and his visa is expiring by end of this month. I’m a Permanent resident and we are applying for his online Inland spouse Sponsorship before his work permit expires.
However, due to COVID we are not sure if we’d be able to get first stage approval ( Sponsorship approval) on time or not which is required to extend his work permit.
Almost certainly will not get to stage for the work permit within a month.