+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I SPONSOR MY HUSBAND AGAIN AFTER DIVORCING HIM IN CANADA?

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
clutchshooter said:
Maybe he realize his wrong doing...
Be careful of what you ask for.​

You have been in Canada for 5 years and you have an 8 year old son with a man in the Philippines who you divorced one year ago.
You are about to receive a Permanent Resident Visa in Canada and now want to sponsor your ex-husband.

In my opinion you have been honest here with your forum postings. But is your ex-husband being honest with you?
You divorced him because he could not "wait" five years for you?
Now he says he is reformed?
Think carefully....does he want to be in Canada even more than he wants to be with you?

Reactions: JKay

Ylime

Jun 6, 2017
Alberta
Hi hope you're still here in this forum.im one of the same situation.i wanna know how and did you manage to get your ex husband back to Philippines.i wanna know how did you do it for i need help so I can sponsor my ex husband.thanks

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020
Hi

I have the same situation with her. In my case, my ex husband is a canadian citizen. We get married in Philippines on April 2011. After we get married, we live together for 6 months in Dubai UAE ( im currently working in UAE) hoping that he could find a job. But due to his back problem he needs to go back to Canada asap for an operation. Since then we havent seen each other, we have a long distance marriage relationship. After 7 years gone of waiting, out of frustrations and long distance took a toll in our marriage. So we both decided to go on our separate ways and he filed uncontested divorce in Canada which was finalized in January 2020.

After getting the final divorce, we both realized that we made a bad decision for filling a divorce. So now we wanted to give a second chance and plan to re marry in Canada. Technically im still married to him in Philippines because we dont divorce in Philippines.

Now, we dont know how to start, do i need to apply tourist visa to come to Canada to re marry, or can he sponsor me. I know our marriage documents dosent have a bearing anymore in Canada as we are already divorce. Its kind a complicated situation. Sometimes bad decision will cost you a lot of trouble;-(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I have the same situation with her. In my case, my ex husband is a canadian citizen. We get married in Philippines on April 2011. After we get married, we live together for 6 months in Dubai UAE ( im currently working in UAE) hoping that he could find a job. But due to his back problem he needs to go back to Canada asap for an operation. Since then we havent seen each other, we have a long distance marriage relationship. After 7 years gone of waiting, out of frustrations and long distance took a toll in our marriage. So we both decided to go on our separate ways and he filed uncontested divorce in Canada which was finalized in January 2020.

After getting the final divorce, we both realized that we made a bad decision for filling a divorce. So now we wanted to give a second chance and plan to re marry in Canada. Technically im still married to him in Philippines because we dont divorce in Philippines.

Now, we dont know how to start, do i need to apply tourist visa to come to Canada to re marry, or can he sponsor me. I know our marriage documents dosent have a bearing anymore in Canada as we are already divorce. Its kind a complicated situation. Sometimes bad decision will cost you a lot of trouble;-(
You need to apply for a TRV (tourist visa) if you want to come to Canada and marry him here.

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020

Just curious if it is necessary to mention in applying TRV that the purpose of my travel to Canada is to re marry my ex? Do i need to attached my divorce papers issued from Canada court.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Just curious if it is necessary to mention in applying TRV that the purpose of my travel to Canada is to re marry my ex? Do i need to attached my divorce papers issued from Canada court.
No - I wouldn't mention that. I would simply say you are coming for a visit as a tourist. You'll want to provide evidence of ties to your home country (e.g. property, employment, assets) and also show you have enough money to pay for the visit. You should also be aware that it's uncertain when you would be able to travel. Right now Canada has a travel ban in place which prevents all but essential travel. The travel ban is due to lift at the end of July but may be extended further. Don't book any flight tickets until the TRV has been approved and the travel restrictions have been lfited. Good luck.

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020
No - I wouldn't mention that. I would simply say you are coming for a visit as a tourist. You'll want to provide evidence of ties to your home country (e.g. property, employment, assets) and also show you have enough money to pay for the visit. You should also be aware that it's uncertain when you would be able to travel. Right now Canada has a travel ban in place which prevents all but essential travel. The travel ban is due to lift at the end of July but may be extended further. Don't book any flight tickets until the TRV has been approved and the travel restrictions have been lfited. Good luck.
Thanks. No plan to travel yet at the moment. Just gathering information's on how to do it right when i decided to apply soon. Currently im working in Dubai United Arab Emirates, so i guess i only need to submit NOC from my employer, bank statement, pay slip. My ex will send me an invitation letter,that he will cover the expenses during my stay in Canada, so many this is enough supporting documents:)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. No plan to travel yet at the moment. Just gathering information's on how to do it right when i decided to apply soon. Currently im working in Dubai United Arab Emirates, so i guess i only need to submit NOC from my employer, bank statement, pay slip. My ex will send me an invitation letter,that he will cover the expenses during my stay in Canada, so many this is enough supporting documents:)
Make sure you can show enough funds to cover your own travel expenses. This is what IRCC prefers to see. If the person in Canada is covering your expenses, this generally lowers the chances of approval. Best if you can do it on your own. Suggest you ask for a 2-3 week trip - no longer.

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020
Make sure you can show enough funds to cover your own travel expenses. This is what IRCC prefers to see. If the person in Canada is covering your expenses, this generally lowers the chances of approval. Best if you can do it on your own. Suggest you ask for a 2-3 week trip - no longer.
Oh OK. Yes i can show enough funds to cover my own travel by submitting my bank statements.. Is the invitation letter will help the chances of approval, does my ex needs to prove that he own/rented the house where i will be staying during my stay in Canada. Its kind a tricky what would be the right contain of the invitation letter.. 2 weeks trip is the longer i can go.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Oh OK. Yes i can show enough funds to cover my own travel by submitting my bank statements.. Is the invitation letter will help the chances of approval, does my ex needs to prove that he own/rented the house where i will be staying during my stay in Canada. Its kind a tricky what would be the right contain of the invitation letter.. 2 weeks trip is the longer i can go.
A letter of invitation will certainly help in you getting a TRV. Your husband does not need to prove he own/rented house.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

The link above will give you an idea of what to say / expected in a letter of invitation. I have used it a few times for my wife / father in law with success.

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020
A letter of invitation will certainly help in you getting a TRV. Your husband does not need to prove he own/rented house.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

The link above will give you an idea of what to say / expected in a letter of invitation. I have used it a few times for my wife / father in law with success.
Thanks!! :-

Just curious if he can mentioned in the invitation letter, relationship as a friend or ex wife..?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks!! :-

Just curious if he can mentioned in the invitation letter, relationship as a friend or ex wife..?
It’s a bit of a double edged sword. If CIC suspects you may get married or that your ex are together again there are higher chances of refusal but without the invitation letter your chances of refusal are also high because you don’t have a great reason why you would want to come visit Canada. The other issue is that you live in a 3rd country and not your home country. You do have a long history of working in the UAE but other than your job you don’t have a lot of ties to the UAE. Sorry I’m not being very helpful but there isn’t an obvious way to apply. I guess he can invite you as a friend but I assume CIC will assume you may be back together.

Robliz

Jul 12, 2020
It’s a bit of a double edged sword. If CIC suspects you may get married or that your ex are together again there are higher chances of refusal but without the invitation letter your chances of refusal are also high because you don’t have a great reason why you would want to come visit Canada. The other issue is that you live in a 3rd country and not your home country. You do have a long history of working in the UAE but other than your job you don’t have a lot of ties to the UAE. Sorry I’m not being very helpful but there isn’t an obvious way to apply. I guess he can invite you as a friend but I assume CIC will assume you may be back together.
Thanks for your reply. I suppose it would be safe to mention relationship as " friend", rather than giving the CIC a hint of our past relationship. Its kind a confusing, there is no harm in trying by submitting all the necessary documents:)

Reactions: canuck78

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I suppose it would be safe to mention relationship as " friend", rather than giving the CIC a hint of our past relationship. Its kind a confusing, there is no harm in trying by submitting all the necessary documents:)
I don't think it is a good idea. If you don't mention the true "relationship" and you could be caught as "misrepresentation" when you try to sponsor him in the later stage, which is a bigger problem.

Reactions: JKay